cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Lense Options

onfoot418
Apprentice

Good morning,

I am looking to purchase a Mark ii 6d and am debating which lense(s) to buy for it. I would like to shoot standard photos of my newborn as she grows. I will also be using it for my business' product photos. These are taken at close up distances (i.e. golf clubs and golf accessories.) Will anything handle both of these situations without needing two separate lenses? Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Brad

11 REPLIES 11

onfoot418
Apprentice
I should note that I use the Macro setting for my business photos on my Canon Point and Shoot. Obviously standard setting for everything else. Do I need a Macro lens for the Mark ii 6d?

"...  my Canon Point and Shoot"

Actually a Canon Poweshot camera like the 1Gx Mk II or Mk III is an outstanding answer to a one camera, one lens solution.  They make amazing photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would like to take professional quality photos (pictures of newborn, family portraits indoors and outdoors). Something I know my current 12mp Powershot will not perform. We typical hire a professional in town, but I suggested to my wife that purchasing our own camera may be a better solution for the future as I see us taking pictures on all sorts of Holidays together, vacations, birthdays, and family get togethers. I have about 15 years experience with my Powershot, and I am pretty proficient with Photoshop. In fact, I have edited (improved) a lot of the photos our photographer has done and edited herself. I have no doubt that I can learn and use a DSLR camera. I am just unfamiliar with the lenses. I need a macro lens for my business photos, and a lens that would work well for standard everyday photo taking.

Thanks,

Brad

OK Brad,

The place to start and I do mean start is with the most used and loved duo Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and  Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  These are the most used lenses by professionals the world over.  You might want to be sitting down when you view the prices but this is the best there is.

You can get lesser quality lenses but lets look at these first.  Let me know what you think,

EB

Awesome, thanks! I will look in to both of those. What is your opinion on the two lens options that come with the Mark II 6d? The EF 24-105mm f/4l IS II USM and EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Will one work for the two tasks I am looking to perform? I am open to trying one, and then purchasing another like you have recommended if necessary.

@onfoot418 wrote:

Awesome, thanks! I will look in to both of those. What is your opinion on the two lens options that come with the Mark II 6d? The EF 24-105mm f/4l IS II USM and EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Will one work for the two tasks I am looking to perform? I am open to trying one, and then purchasing another like you have recommended if necessary.

You cannot really go wrong with any current "L" series lens.  Note the "L" designation after f/number, aperture.  It is a good "starter" lens, designed for general photography.  It has a much better build quality than the "STM" lens, although the image quality of the "STM" is comparable, some would argue, to the "L" series lens.

I still do not think there is an all-purpose single lens to do both general photography, and the product photos that you have indicated a desire to do.  For the product photos, you would also want a professional grade tripod, in addition to a macro lens.  You could squeak by with the 24-105mm f/4L lens doing product photos, but a dedicated macro lens would be ideal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The biggest advantage to the two lenses I suggested, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and  Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is they will follow you and your daughter from birth, to school, to dance class and/or soccer games, her wedding and on and on.  Add to that they will also start the whole cycle all over again when the grandbaby comes!

Good lenses last.  Good cameras not so much so if/when you decide it is time for another camera these two lenses will still be there.  That makes them not so expensive.

As for your product photography I would certainly give these lenses a chance before you add more to the bag.  They just may do what you need.  Another reason the buy the best!

"The EF 24-105mm f/4l IS II USM and EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM?"  These are fine.  They both produce good results.  They are some of the "lesser" choices I made mention of.  The first, the EF 24-105mm f/4l IS II USM, is the better of the two as it is a professional lens.  The ladder one is a consumer model.

BTW, about that product photography, I would have to know exactly how and what you shoot to suggest a lens choice.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, about that product photography, I would have to know exactly how and what you shoot to suggest a lens choice.

“Golf clubs and golf accessories”

It is in the original thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"It is in the original thread."

It is but it doesn't spell out exactly how and what exactly is in the shot.  Why the word exactly was highlighted.

EB
Announcements