cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L

cederfjard
Apprentice

I have a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L. I'm wondering if this lens is aspherical just like the Canon FD 85mm f1.2 S.S.C aspherical?

I've read that they have the same lens design but I got a friend that say the L version doesn't have aspherical lens design. Is he correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cederfjard wrote:

I have a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L. I'm wondering if this lens is aspherical just like the Canon FD 85mm f1.2 S.S.C aspherical?

I've read that they have the same lens design but I got a friend that say the L version doesn't have aspherical lens design. Is he correct?

The Canon Museum doesn't specify one way or the other, but, according to Ken Rockwell it is an aspherical lens design. 

'The first [85mm f/1.2] FD mount version (breech-lock mount), came out in January 1976. That was before canon concocted the "L" brand, so instead it was branded "S. S. C." for Super-Specta Coating. The New FD mount version came out in March, 1980. The sample seen here is the new FD version. This sample was made in November 1987. They all use the same optics.' ~ Ken Rockwell

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cederfjard wrote:

The Canon Museum doesn't specify one way or the other, but, according to Ken Rockwell it is an aspherical lens design. 

'The first [85mm f/1.2] FD mount version (breech-lock mount), came out in January 1976. That was before canon concocted the "L" brand, so instead it was branded "S. S. C." for Super-Specta Coating. The New FD mount version came out in March, 1980. The sample seen here is the new FD version. This sample was made in November 1987. They all use the same optics.' ~ Ken Rockwell

Thank you!

We read the Ken Rockwell article but didn't believe that source.. Guess that's his problem.

But thank you so much for the help!

@cederfjard wrote:

Thank you!

We read the Ken Rockwell article but didn't believe that source.. Guess that's his problem.

But thank you so much for the help!

I shy away from Ken Rockwell on subjective items. But, when it comes to objective information he's pretty good. Want a quick source on what filter size a lens uses, Ken is your go to guy.

I think of him like a good movie reviewer who does not share my taste in movies. I disagree with most of the opinions about the movie, but he is such a fair reviewer that I can use his review to decide whether I would like the movie or not.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I think of him like a good movie reviewer who does not share my taste in movies."

I like that and agree with it.  But I don't like many reviews or reviewers, preferring to do it for myself.  Some guys live by the inner web and reviews.  Whatever!

I never had the Canon FD 85mm f1.2 S.S.C or even ever used one (that I can remember anyway) but I do have the other two. The EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens is nothing short of amazing.  Fantastic lens.  It is a hard lens to use but if you master it you will be rewarded.

The FD 85mm f1.2L is legendary.  What more can you say than that? Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements