cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM manual and auto focus not working

burlyal
Apprentice

Went to shoot pictures yesterday at my son's baseball game and took only one lense, the EF-S 18-135 3.5-5.6 IS STM on a EOS 70D.  Initially couldn't get the autofocus working using al servo sport mode.  No sound, hum, anything out of the motor. Changed the lense to manual focus and on manual camera settings and still nothing.  No pictures at last nights game.  Once home, checked other lenses and found no autofocus issues on the camera.  This is my only short/mid range zoom and use most frequently.

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like you need to send it to Canon.

@burlyal wrote:

Went to shoot pictures yesterday at my son's baseball game and took only one lense, the EF-S 18-135 3.5-5.6 IS STM on a EOS 70D.  Initially couldn't get the autofocus working using al servo sport mode.  No sound, hum, anything out of the motor. Changed the lense to manual focus and on manual camera settings and still nothing.  No pictures at last nights game.  Once home, checked other lenses and found no autofocus issues on the camera.  This is my only short/mid range zoom and use most frequently.

Canon's STM lenses rely on an electric motor for focusing, even in manual-focus mode. So before you send it in, make sure you've tried it with a reasonably well charged battery. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I"ll do that Robert.  I had questioned the battery but the readout showed over 50% at the time of use yesterday. Lens was part of a package when purchased 3 years ago and I'm wondering if it does have to be sent in for repair, if it's not just as well to replace with a rebuilt or Sigma equivalent.

That is a good lens, and should last years. It is certainly worth seeing what it would cost to repair it.

Robert is right.  The "STM" lenses do not use a mechanical connection to the focus ring.  They operate electronically, also known as "focus by wire".  This means that if your viewfinder display isn't active, then you will not be able to manually adjust the focus.  Half press the shutter to "wake" the camera up, so that you can manually focus an STM lens.

Using AI Servo can be tricky, because it cannot give you focus confirmation beep like One Shot mode does when it locks focus.  Because AI Servo mode continuously focuses on a subject, it could beep non-stop if it gave you a confirmation beep.

Test your lens by switching the lens to AF, and the camera to old reliable .... the green [A] mode.  Make sure you have sufficient light and distance to the subject.  If the lens still doesn't focus, then it probably needs service.  You would need to contact Canon U.S. Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

burlyal,

I don't think it is a great candidate for repair unless it is something really simple and minor.  I see this lens going for around $200 to $250 on the used market.  It is hard to get any repair done for less than $200.  You will have to ask Canon but if you do decide to do it, you will get a virtually new lens back.  They will go through the whole lens.  One reason it costs so much.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, it is unlikely it is the battery. Also unlikely dirty contacts but if it makes you feel better you can try to clean them.  Who knows that may work. Cleaning the contacts is usually a waste of time.  But if you must, use a q-tip and alcohol.  Both camera and lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

donpierson3
Apprentice

I had the same problem for months and was about to send the lens in for repair. Whenever I switched from AF to M on the lens, the lens continued to act like it was still in AF mode. The problem went away when I switched AF methods in the menu. I simply went from FlexiZone AF to Quick Mode. Oddly, when I then switched back to FlexiZone, manual focus continued to work. Hope this works for you.

imholzer
Apprentice
You just saved me money I don't need to be spending right now! My camera slipped out of its harness on a recent hike, and although it was tethered, the side of the lens nicked a rock just as its fall was halted. The lens protector cracked under the cap, but the lens itself looked fine...until I realized neither AF nor MF was working. Tonight I already had a new (used) lens in my cart, but was still considering a possible repair when I saw your post. Can't hurt to try, I figured, and bingo! Thank you so much!
Announcements