cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon DSLR lenses

thirdherd
Contributor

I've recently purchased a Canon 6D Mark 2 full frame. This is my first Canon acquisition and need to familiarize my self

with their lenses. So.....what should I be looking for to ensure I'm getting a lens that will work on a full frame? I noticed the mount description is EF, are there others and lenses listed as IS II USM? I live in a very rural area and trips to a Canon dealer are rare events and so I purchase online.

30 REPLIES 30

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I know this isn't a lens reason but one very good reason to buy Canon is, Canon is nicer to its customers..."

Aww, thanks, Ernie! We really try to be the best for you guys! Smiley Very Happy

"ebiggs1 wrote:

" I know this isn't a lens reason but one very good reason to buy Canon is, Canon is nicer to its customers..."

Aww, thanks, Ernie! We really try to be the best for you guys! "

I always try to tell the truth and that is the truth.  Whether about product or service.  You deserve it.  I hope you (Canon) take the good with the bad as well, though ! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I always try to tell the truth and that is the truth.  Whether about product or service.  You deserve it.  I hope you (Canon) take the good with the bad as well, though ! "

We always take the good with the bad! We're always looking for ways to improve, both in the ways we provide service to our customers, and in our products. You guys here in the Canon Community Forums have had a very direct impact on product improvements, and we truly appreciate your candor and loyalty! 

"We're always looking for ways to improve, ..."

Think of this, I worked for a large company that was 100% Nikon. They had everything Nikon had to offer.  But for myself I chose and went with Canon.  I suspect that says something?

EB

"A good example is the aforementioned Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art compared to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L. The Sigma Art Series get good reviews for image quality, but they are not sealed."

Neither is the ef 50mm f1.2L !  Smiley Wink  It is, however, unique and it is fantastic.

EB

thirdherd wrote:

Thanks for the info. Knowing the guidelines is what I was after. I also shoot Nikon and much of the advice here is mirrored in the Nikon community. Stick with Nikon/Canon lenses. I do own a Tokina wide angle that I'm very pleased with. At any rate I do have the 24-105 kit lens in the F4 version and see myself duplicating my Nikon collection. A ?-300 telephoto, a wide angle and a couple of primes, 50/85. Thanks again for the explanation the Canon family of lenses. I look forward to learning the Canon system.

Mamiya 645 (2), Pentax 645N, FG-20, N8008s, N70, F4, F5, F100, D5200, D750, D6 MK II

For your "?-300 telephoto", you might want to consider the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II with the 1.4 extender. Most of us consider the 70-200 to be the best lens available. I haven't yet used the extender very much, but so far I've seen no discernible loss of image quality.

Incidentally, the more recent 24-105 is merely an upgrade of its predecessor; both are f/4. It's the 16-35, the 24-70, and the 70-200 that come in both f/2.8 and f/4 versions.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob, but not sure I follow completely. I got the 24-105 f4 lens which was about 500 bucks more than the other 24-105 offered, it was F3.5-5.6

I did find the 70-200 I think....1100 bucks. Does that sound right?

@thirdherd wrote:

Thanks Bob, but not sure I follow completely. I got the 24-105 f4 lens which was about 500 bucks more than the other 24-105 offered, it was F3.5-5.6

I'm not familiar with that second version of the 24-105, only with the older and newer versions of the f/4.

$1100 is about right for the 70-200 f/4L with IS. The most recent version of the f/2.8L with IS is about $800 more.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@thirdherd wrote:

It sounds like you have the same lens I that mentioned earlier, the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens.  It is the most common first “L” lens for people to own, and an excellent starter lens with a full frame body.  

You really do not need anything else, except for a flash, and a fast prime, IMHO.  I think everyone should have a fast prime in their collection.  Take your pick: 35mm, 50mm, or 85mm.  I would go for a wide angle, so i could shoot indoors without a flash.

If you are looking for a longer lens, then any of the Canon 70-200mm lenses are good.  It is just that the top of the line EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is truly exceptional.  Another really good lens is the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-4.6L IS II USM.  Either of those lenses works really well with the EF 1.4x III extender on a 6D mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...you might want to consider the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II with the 1.4 extender."

I would second this as an option. I don't particularly like tel-cons but this works. But the ef 300mm f4L IS is a very nice lens with IS. I have it and I have the Brand-n version.  The Canon is so much better it isn't even a contest.

EB
Announcements