cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon DSLR lenses

thirdherd
Contributor

I've recently purchased a Canon 6D Mark 2 full frame. This is my first Canon acquisition and need to familiarize my self

with their lenses. So.....what should I be looking for to ensure I'm getting a lens that will work on a full frame? I noticed the mount description is EF, are there others and lenses listed as IS II USM? I live in a very rural area and trips to a Canon dealer are rare events and so I purchase online.

30 REPLIES 30

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@thirdherd wrote:

I've recently purchased a Canon 6D Mark 2 full frame. This is my first Canon acquisition and need to familiarize my self

with their lenses. So.....what should I be looking for to ensure I'm getting a lens that will work on a full frame? I noticed the mount description is EF, are there others and lenses listed as IS II USM? I live in a very rural area and trips to a Canon dealer are rare events and so I purchase online.

Stick to Canon lenses.  Only buy third party lenses when Canon does not offer a similar lens, which is actually quite rare, considering Canon’s wide range of lenses.

Only buy Canon lenses with model numbers that start with “EF”, and not “EF-S.”  EF-S lenses are specifically designed for APS-C sensor camera bodies.  EF-S lenses will not mount properly on a fulll frame body, and will in fact damage the camera.

The ending model numbers describe the lens features.  “IS” describes Image Stabilization.  “USM” describes the focusing motors, “Ultra Sonic Mototrs.”  The “II” designation identifies a Mark II verision, or a release II version, of a lens.  Lens technology has improved over the years, but not quite so much for popular focal lengths.

I would recommend buying Canon “L” series lenses.  The image quality is jaw dropping for most of them.  Most of the “EF” lenses, which are not “L” series, are older designs.  Canon “L” series generally have better IQ, and are built to last.  One of the most popular starter lenses for a full frame body is the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens.  Notice the “L” in the aperture spec. Canon just recently released a Mark II version of this venerable lens earlier this year.

However, there are a few gems that are not “L” series lenses.  One such lens is the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.   Another is the latest version of the “nifty fifty”, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  Notice how neither of these lenses has an “L” in the aperture spec.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Any Canon EF lens. Not Canon EF-s or EF-m lenses. 

Also any 3rd party lens made for Canon cameras with the full frame mount and not the crop sensor mount. 

Lenses made by 3rd parties can be a cost effective way to good glass.  Read reviews and see which ones have good optics.  Small differences on a test chart make no real life difference in image quality. Autofocus may suffer in 3rd party lenses but not typically to a degree noticeable by amateurs outside of challenging sporting events. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Stick to Canon lenses."

Although my blood runs true to Canon, if you do that strictly, you will miss out on some superb lenses.  You need to buy lenses that fit your need.  One of those requirements could be cost.  Most 3rd party lenses cost considerably less than Canon does.  SOmetimes they are as good or better. An example might be the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens vs Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens for Canon.  The Tok is just as sharp about the same level of distortion and is less than half the price.

There are a few off brand lenses that are actually better than the Canon offerings but the Canon is still the best choice. An example might be the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens vs Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon EF.  The Siggy is considered the sharpest 50 made.  I agree but it ain't no equal to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L.

Last example might be the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon EF.  Canon has rumors that they were going to offer a lens similar to this big Siggy but it hasn't come to pass.  Yet !

So choose wisely.  Stick with Canon is good advice but not solely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the info. Knowing the guidelines is what I was after. I also shoot Nikon and much of the advice here is mirrored in the Nikon community. Stick with Nikon/Canon lenses. I do own a Tokina wide angle that I'm very pleased with. At any rate I do have the 24-105 kit lens in the F4 version and see myself duplicating my Nikon collection. A ?-300 telephoto, a wide angle and a couple of primes, 50/85. Thanks again for the explanation the Canon family of lenses. I look forward to learning the Canon system.

Mamiya 645 (2), Pentax 645N, FG-20, N8008s, N70, F4, F5, F100, D5200, D750, D6 MK II

@thirdherd wrote:

Thanks for the info. Knowing the guidelines is what I was after. I also shoot Nikon and much of the advice here is mirrored in the Nikon community. Stick with Nikon/Canon lenses. I do own a Tokina wide angle that I'm very pleased with. At any rate I do have the 24-105 kit lens in the F4 version and see myself duplicating my Nikon collection. A ?-300 telephoto, a wide angle and a couple of primes, 50/85. Thanks again for the explanation the Canon family of lenses. I look forward to learning the Canon system.

Mamiya 645 (2), Pentax 645N, FG-20, N8008s, N70, F4, F5, F100, D5200, D750, D6 MK II

Sounds like you know what to look for.  

I prefer Canon “L” series lenses over some third party lenses because the Canon lenses have dust and moisture sealing, while much of the third party competition does not.  A good example is the aforementioned Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art compared to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L. The Sigma Art Series get good reviews for image quality, but they are not sealed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What has prompted you to get into Canon?  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

To have a 2nd full frame and try something else. I have also reached that point in life where disposable income isn't the issue it used to be. I have zero complaints with any cameras I own, or have ever owned and  I expect this one to follow suit so it's not a Ford vs Chevy issue.

I tried some Nikon stuff a few years ago & it didn't meet my (way less than mainstream) needs. The biggest thing you will notice between Canon & Nikon is the more diverse selection of higher end (L series) lenses. Both brands have lots of Consumer grade lenses but Nikon really didn't have anything like the L series in specific ranges I rely on.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

" Both brands have lots of Consumer grade lenses but Nikon really didn't have anything like the L series in specific ranges I rely on."

It is true Nikon doesn't make as many or, IMHO, lenses in the same class as Canon.  Especially the "L" line.  But Nikon still makes some pretty nice stuff.  Nikon has the 'gold ring' just like Canon's famous 'red ring'.  You have to learn a new set of jargon like ED and AFS to know brand-N.  Just the facts.

The two main most lenses the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 goes to Canon.  No question Canon is better there. And they are what most people want.  I would prefer to buy the Tamron offerings in this range before the Nikon.

Another point for Canon for instance there is no Nikon counter part to the ef 400mm f5.6L.  No ef 50mm f1.2L and no ef 85mm f1.2L, etc.  But we already gave the Canon lens line up the unquestioned top spot.  Didn't we?

I know this isn't a lens reason but one very good reason to buy Canon is, Canon is nicer to its customers than Nikon is.  In fact Canon is nicer than Sigma or Tamron.  Don't even think Tokina!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements