cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D lense option

Dragonfire665
Contributor

Hello everyone. I bought my wife a Canon 70D and she has the following lenses. Not the best, but they are doing the job for the moment.

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II

Canon Zoom EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II

We are going to China at the end of June this year and I am looking to buy her a lense as a gift. One that can take close up photos and some what of distance. I dont want to carry this bag all thru China for 3 weeks. So if I can have her just bring the body and 1 lense that will be great. We are visiting many places, like Beijing, Hong Kong, Shaighai and others so there are many landscapes and close up shots that I will like for her to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

39 REPLIES 39

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it very much!

I can understand having the benefits of the smaller, lighter EF-S  lenses. I was just wondering if it would be more cost effective in the long run, if I were to purchase something like the 16-35 f/2.8 II? If my math is correct, and if I understand correctly, the actual field of view would be fairly similar to the 18-55 kit lens, correct? (just a little shorter when fully zoomed in,  and a little wider when zoomed out) If I am mistaken, please correct me. I am still trying to learn all I can.Smiley Happy

From an experienced user's point of view, would it make sense to buy the 17-55 f/2.8, or would I get the same quality out of the 16-35 f/2.8, at a loss of zoom? 

@King315 wrote:

I can understand having the benefits of the smaller, lighter EF-S  lenses. I was just wondering if it would be more cost effective in the long run, if I were to purchase something like the 16-35 f/2.8 II? If my math is correct, and if I understand correctly, the actual field of view would be fairly similar to the 18-55 kit lens, correct? (just a little shorter when fully zoomed in,  and a little wider when zoomed out) If I am mistaken, please correct me. I am still trying to learn all I can.Smiley Happy

From an experienced user's point of view, would it make sense to buy the 17-55 f/2.8, or would I get the same quality out of the 16-35 f/2.8, at a loss of zoom? 

Go ahead and invest in EF lenses.  I once made the same choice.  I stopped buying EF-S lenses.  

The argument about how you would be paying for more lens [wider image] than what you smaller inamge sensor sensor can use is more rationalization than sensible.  The image quality in many lenses falls off toward the edges, anyway.  You smaller sensor would pretty much use only the best part of the image produced by EF lenses.

Besides, guess what type of lenses [EF or EF-S] mount that the detractors commonly use on their crop sensor cameras?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@King315 wrote:

If you really think paying almost twice as much for a lens without image stabilization and less of a zoom range makes sense go for it.

And no you would not get the same image quality out of the 16-35 f/2.8 II, it would not be as good as the 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

@King315 wrote:

All the arguments have already been laid out, so there's nothing left but to venture into personal opinion. Mine is that you'd miss the extra telephoto range if you chose the 16-35 over the 17-55 and that any difference in image quality would be negligible.

If you were to decide to go full-frame in the next year or so, you might regret spending the money for the 17-55. But consider this: The Alaska trip will likely cost you several thousand dollars, and in that context the cost of the lens may not matter much. And it's a well regarded lens, so you could probably sell it on the used market.

And in answer to Waddizzle's question for "detractors" (since I guess my opinion makes me one): when I use a crop camera, the lens I use on it is almost always the 17-55. My wife also has the 17-55 and uses it almost exclusively on her 7D Mark II, even though she has three other lenses (WA, telephoto, macro).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Mine is that you'd miss the extra telephoto range if you chose the 16-35 over the 17-55 and that any difference in image quality would be negligible.

If he was talking about getting the EF 16-35 f/2.8L III (at three times the cost) I would agree there isn't much image quality difference. However, he was asking about the EF 16-35 f/2.8l II and in that case there is.

EF 16-35 III TELE
EF 16-35 f/2.8L III

EF 16-35 II TELE

EF 16-35 f/2.8L II

EF-S 17-55 TELE

EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

King315
Apprentice
I guess I was just curious to know what the general thought is about using the full frame lenses on an APSC body. Do they absolutely disappoint when used on the APSC body, or are the images about the same, or do they improve results? I'm still relatively new to the DSLR world, so I was confused by seeing a lot of folks using "L series" lenses on crop bodies. Both online, and on the streets.

My thoughts about getting the 16-35, were along the lines of "when I go to a full frame body, I'll buy the bundle that comes with a standard zoom, and then I'll have a wide angle and a standard zoom for the full frame body".

If there is another lens out there that would cover relatively the same focal range, and be useable on both the crop and full frame bodies, please feel free to point me in the right direction. As I've said before, I have a general understanding, but am still in the process of learning as much as I can.

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

@King315 wrote:
I guess I was just curious to know what the general thought is about using the full frame lenses on an APSC body. Do they absolutely disappoint when used on the APSC body, or are the images about the same, or do they improve results? I'm still relatively new to the DSLR world, so I was confused by seeing a lot of folks using "L series" lenses on crop bodies. Both online, and on the streets.

My thoughts about getting the 16-35, were along the lines of "when I go to a full frame body, I'll buy the bundle that comes with a standard zoom, and then I'll have a wide angle and a standard zoom for the full frame body".

If there is another lens out there that would cover relatively the same focal range, and be useable on both the crop and full frame bodies, please feel free to point me in the right direction. As I've said before, I have a general understanding, but am still in the process of learning as much as I can.

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

There isn't another Canon lens in that focal range that will give you better image quality than the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, unless you spend $2000.  

When will you be buying a full frame camera? If you don't have an actual date in mind and it is just a 'someday' purchase, you are too far off from your full frame purchase to worry about buying full frame lenses.

What are you going to do with your 70D when you get a full frame camera? If you plan on keeping it as a backup you'll still want lenses for it. If you are planning on selling it, how hard will it be to sell an additional lens too? Lenses hold their value better than camera bodies, purchase the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS from Canon refurbished today (or as soon as one is in stock) and it is unlikely you'll lose much money selling it later.

"There isn't another Canon lens in that focal range that will give you better image quality than the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS."

Plus the fact it always will.  It will still produce the same great images it did even after you buy a FF.  If you decide to dump the 70D the addition of the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS will make it a more appealing deal to the new owner.

I usually advise folks to get the best lenses they can.  In this case the best lens for you is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

BTW, buying FF needs to have a reason or a goal.  FF has a lot of misleading hype associated with it.  It may offer you some benefit but it may not.  So, why are you wanting FF ... eventually ... instead of now?  Is it price?  It won't be any cheaper later one!  For instance a 7D Mk II is going to be a difficult camera for any FF to best in most specs.

Bottom line I still believe it is best to buy for what you have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

King315
Apprentice
Hello, and thanks again for all of the help.

After hearing everyone's opinion so far, I think the 17-55 may be my best option for now. I had planned on going to a full frame camera eventually, but wanted to keep my 70d as a spare. After hearing the input from you guys, and doing some more research, I think it will be closer to what I want. It should be a great lens for the 70d, and it will be in the same focal range as the kit lens, so that will be nice.

Thanks again for all the help!

Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements