Canon Community Canon Community

Respected Contributor

Re: Canon 70D lense option

[ Edited ]

Waddizzle wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

I think the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is an excellent choice.  Just be aware that it is a little too long for the built-in flash.  The lens barrel will cast a shadow.  

I just tested the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens on my 7D Mk II.

Without a lenshood the lens does NOT cast a shadow using the built in flash of my 7D Mk II at any focal length. 

Excellent.  I know for certain that lens casts a shadow with the smaller Rebel bodies.  My son complained about it.

Your son must have a lenshood on to get a shadow.

I just tested it on my XTi which is one of the smallest Rebel bodies. I believe only the SL1/100D is smaller.

I just tested the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens on my Rebel XTi.

Without a lenshood the lens does NOT cast a shadow using the built in flash of my Rebel XTi at any focal length. 

Respected Contributor

I think distance to subject is what matters here. Did you try the closest focus/flash distance?

Esteemed Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

The question may be what camera should you be taking instead of lens.  If carrying a bag full of lenses or anything approaching that is not wanted, check out the Powershot G1x Mk II. There aren't many camera/lens in the G1 X Mark II's class.

Body of magnesium alloy.   It is easy to hold. Has a built-in grip.  Full manual exposure control.  Macro, too.  The G1 X II has Wi-Fi. 

The best part is the new 24-120mm equivalent F2.0-3.9 lens.  Plus the G11x Mk II the 1.5" sensor.  Best of all, it will be very easy to carry.

I have no reason to question Ernie's admiration for the G1x II. But before I bought one for that trip, I think I'd want to check to make sure that it's even legal to use a WiFi-equipped camera in China.

I assume that the reference to a "G11x Mk II" is a typo.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Respected Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

I think distance to subject is what matters here. Did you try the closest focus/flash distance?

I checked at under 3'. 

The lenshood did cast a shadow at focal lengths wider than 35mm at that distance.

At the minimum focus distance of 1.3' there was the slightest shadow at 18mm.

It is unlikely that you'll ever run across a shadow from the lens when using the built in flash during normal usage as long as you remove the lenshood. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My son has a hood.  I'll ask him about it.  I get better indoor photos with a fast lens,, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."