cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D lense option

Dragonfire665
Contributor

Hello everyone. I bought my wife a Canon 70D and she has the following lenses. Not the best, but they are doing the job for the moment.

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II

Canon Zoom EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II

We are going to China at the end of June this year and I am looking to buy her a lense as a gift. One that can take close up photos and some what of distance. I dont want to carry this bag all thru China for 3 weeks. So if I can have her just bring the body and 1 lense that will be great. We are visiting many places, like Beijing, Hong Kong, Shaighai and others so there are many landscapes and close up shots that I will like for her to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

39 REPLIES 39

I think the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is an excellent choice.  Just be aware that it is a little too long for the built-in flash.  The lens barrel will cast a shadow.  

Your EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens is short enough so as to not cast a shadow.  But, bringing that lens along brings you back to square one again, carrying more than one lens.  This lens is quite an older design, and has been superceded by an "STM" version.  STM version utilize superior focusing systems, which result in much faster and quieter focusing, and much sharper images.

Your basic dilemma is that you want to be able to shoot two very different scenarios.  One scenario almost requires a wide angle lens, especially if you plan to take any indoor shots, which raises that issue with the built-in flash with the 18-135.  The second scenario that you described would need a medium telephoto.

I think you need to bite the bullet, and just take two lenses.  You will almost certainly want a wide angle for capturing landscapes, and indoor shooting.  You suggested that you wanted a telephoto length, too.

I'm going to suggest that you carry your EF-S 55-250mm and to purchase the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens.  The 24mm lens is wide enough for indoor and landscape shots.  It uses STM focusing, so it has much sharper images than your 18-55mm lens.  And, it is short enough to not interfere with the built-in flash.

Just my two cents.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is an excellent choice.  Just be aware that it is a little too long for the built-in flash.  The lens barrel will cast a shadow.  

Your EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens is short enough so as to not cast a shadow.  But, bringing that lens along brings you back to square one again, carrying more than one lens.  This lens is quite an older design, and has been superceded by an "STM" version.  STM version utilize superior focusing systems, which result in much faster and quieter focusing, and much sharper images.

Your basic dilemma is that you want to be able to shoot two very different scenarios.  One scenario almost requires a wide angle lens, especially if you plan to take any indoor shots, which raises that issue with the built-in flash with the 18-135.  The second scenario that you described would need a medium telephoto.

I think you need to bite the bullet, and just take two lenses.  You will almost certainly want a wide angle for capturing landscapes, and indoor shooting.  You suggested that you wanted a telephoto length, too.

I'm going to suggest that you carry your EF-S 55-250mm and to purchase the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens.  The 24mm lens is wide enough for indoor and landscape shots.  It uses STM focusing, so it has much sharper images than your 18-55mm lens.  And, it is short enough to not interfere with the built-in flash.

Just my two cents.

Waddizzle is right that you need two lenses. But I wouldn't buy a 24mm prime for that trip; it isn't really wide on an APS-C camera. The 18-55 and the 55-250 provide a continuous zoom range from wide to telephoto. But if you don't think the 18-55 is good enough and you want to buy just one lens, get the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It's a very good lens and fast enough for indoor use. (But be warned that it too will cast a shadow in the coverage area of the built-in flash.)

Prime lenses have their place, I guess, although the justification for them gets more tenuous as time passes. But their place doesn't (IMO) include travel where space is at a premium.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Your EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens is short enough so as to not cast a shadow. 

Just my two cents.

Waddizzle is right that you need two lenses. But I wouldn't buy a 24mm prime for that trip; it isn't really wide on an APS-C camera. The 18-55 and the 55-250 provide a continuous zoom range from wide to telephoto. But if you don't think the 18-55 is good enough and you want to buy just one lens, get the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It's a very good lens and fast enough for indoor use. (But be warned that it too will cast a shadow in the coverage area of the built-in flash.)

Prime lenses have their place, I guess, although the justification for them gets more tenuous as time passes. But their place doesn't (IMO) include travel where space is at a premium.

I had thought, go with what you have, but the kit 18-55mm lens isn't very good.  I had considered the 17-55mm lens, too..  But, it will cast a shadow with the flash, too.  I don't think it would be a good idea to not to be able to use your flash.  I don't think it's a good idea to have only one lens that you can use with the flash, one which is not very good.

I put a priority on being able to use the flash.  Yes, the 17-55mm is a good lens.  But, I think it is bad idea if you are not able to use the flash after traveling that far.  I picked the EF-S 24mm because it is small, which is ideal for traveling. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

I just tested the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens on my 7D Mk II.

Without a lenshood the lens does NOT cast a shadow using the built in flash of my 7D Mk II at any focal length. 

Hole smoke. So many responces. I am still trying to capture and gather all information. Everyone of you are well informed and amazing for helping me. Kudos to all. Now to search everyone of the options I have received from you guys. I will keep everyone posted.

@Dragonfire665 wrote:

Hole smoke. So many responces. I am still trying to capture and gather all information. Everyone of you are well informed and amazing for helping me. Kudos to all. Now to search everyone of the options I have received from you guys. I will keep everyone posted.

Basically two versions of the EF-S 18-135 IS lens were recommended by the vast majority of people. 

There is a newer STM version and the newest NANO version. The thing is avoid the older non-STM, non-NANO version of the lens. I'm not sure of the price difference between the NANO and STM. Those recommending the NANO are correct it is a little better than the STM version because it has faster focusing. So if they are similarly priced get the NANO one. If there is a substantial price difference get the STM version, its focus is pleanty fast, and its image quality is the same.

Either of those 18-135 lenses are your best 'one lens' solution for traveling. 

The question may be what camera should you be taking instead of lens.  If carrying a bag full of lenses or anything approaching that is not wanted, check out the Powershot G1x Mk II. There aren't many camera/lens in the G1 X Mark II's class.

Body of magnesium alloy.   It is easy to hold. Has a built-in grip.  Full manual exposure control.  Macro, too.  The G1 X II has Wi-Fi. 

The best part is the new 24-120mm equivalent F2.0-3.9 lens.  Plus the G11x Mk II the 1.5" sensor.  Best of all, it will be very easy to carry.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The question may be what camera should you be taking instead of lens.  If carrying a bag full of lenses or anything approaching that is not wanted, check out the Powershot G1x Mk II. There aren't many camera/lens in the G1 X Mark II's class.

Body of magnesium alloy.   It is easy to hold. Has a built-in grip.  Full manual exposure control.  Macro, too.  The G1 X II has Wi-Fi. 

The best part is the new 24-120mm equivalent F2.0-3.9 lens.  Plus the G11x Mk II the 1.5" sensor.  Best of all, it will be very easy to carry.

I have no reason to question Ernie's admiration for the G1x II. But before I bought one for that trip, I think I'd want to check to make sure that it's even legal to use a WiFi-equipped camera in China.

I assume that the reference to a "G11x Mk II" is a typo.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I just tested the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens on my 7D Mk II.

Without a lenshood the lens does NOT cast a shadow using the built in flash of my 7D Mk II at any focal length. 

Excellent.  I know for certain that lens casts a shadow with the smaller Rebel bodies.  My son complained about it.

Announcements