cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200mm f4 front element falling off

hallc
Apprentice

Hello!

I've owned a Canon 70-200mm f4 non-IS for about three years now. Over the past month I started experiancing a problem with the front plastic element rattling and eventually becoming loose. This part includes the red stripe, "CANON ZOOM LENS EF..." text, and everything else forward. It doesn't include any actual glass.

I saw videos online of people fixing theirs, but none of them applied to my specific copy. I figure the answer will be to send it in to Canon and get a professional repair. I don't want to spend too much in repairs as I would like to sell this soon and make a profit.

Below is a picture of what I am dealing with. Thanks in advance!

Charlie

unnamed.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Bite the bullet and send it to Canon.  They do top shelf repair work, and they guarantee their work, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Would you have any idea of an estimate for the repair? I know they can get pricey and I'm wondering if it's even worth it if I plan on upgrading. I tried to submit a request but an inspection is required for an estimate.

@hallc wrote:

Would you have any idea of an estimate for the repair? I know they can get pricey and I'm wondering if it's even worth it if I plan on upgrading. I tried to submit a request but an inspection is required for an estimate.

Send it in.  The estimate is free, and the repair will be worth the cost.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

hallc wrote:

If, as you suggested, you're going to sell the lens, you don't have much of a choice. If you don't fix it or just dab on some superglue, it will be worth a lot less than if you can document an official Canon repair job. All other things being equal, the difference in value may be more than the cost of the repair. The only fly in that ointment is that the picture appears to show the older version of that lens. So before you take any action in anticipation of a sale, look up what a used 70-200 f/4 of that vintage is worth.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It also appears your lens needs a serious cleaning.  I sell a lot of used gear and my reputation is worth more to me than a sloppy repair.  Your lens needs a C&C and repair.  You can't in good faith sell it unless you do that.  IMHO, respectively.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are some lenses that, frankly, if they are damaged... don’t pay to repair them... just replace them.

THIS... is not one of the lenses.  Send it to Canon.  Have it properly repaired.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements