cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200mm F2.8 III?

maelburger
Apprentice

Anyone know if the new 70-200 will be coming out anytime soon. the mk1 came out in 2001 and then the mk2 in 2010... so 2019? also does anyone have one and know how good it is. wanting to buy for studio work and portraits 

7 REPLIES 7

What are you hoping it will do that the current version (IS II) doesn't do?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Not sure actually, from what ive seen in store it is such a magnificant lens. probably abit sharper which would help in the studio but not sure

Try renting one.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Reading the rumor sites is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I have not heard much if anything about it.  

The current model can be had from an authorized dealer for $1800 or even slightly less, but I bear no hard feelings for having paid $2,500.00 for my copy as it is such a beautiful and smooth lens and I've gotten 5 great years worth of photos from it.   I can't see waiting for a new version of a superlative lens that needs no improvement. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the mk1 came out in 2001 and then the mk2 in 2010..."

Canon comes out with a new lens when they have a update or design update.  Not on a time schedule.  There may never be a Mk III.  Besides even if they do, how many great shots are you missing by waiting? 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The IS II version is about as good a lens as you'll find today. Its only real drawback is that it's big and heavy.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

There won't be a 70-200mm 2.8 IS III anytime soon for the same reason there still isn't a 70-200mm 4.0 IS II....

There is no need for either one.

The 70-200mm 2.8 IS II and 70-200mm 4.0 IS are both just about perfect.  

How do you improve on perfection?

Mike Sowsun
Announcements