cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens

limvo05
Rising Star
7 REPLIES 7

Edward
Enthusiast

Once again Canon fails to innovate, just a few new cosmetics improvements such and coatings and color change.  But no reduction on weight or size.  The continued philosophy of slight graduated improvements is leaving Canon behind.

@limvo05 wrote:

https://www.adorama.com/ca702003isu.html?EmailPrice=T

Thoughts anyone?

LV

Darn those laws of physics!

"The continued philosophy of slight graduated improvements is leaving Canon behind."

When you already make the best 70-200mil in the world there can be only small improvements.  Canon will sell all they can make.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Edward wrote:

Once again Canon fails to innovate, just a few new cosmetics improvements such and coatings and color change.  But no reduction on weight or size.  The continued philosophy of slight graduated improvements is leaving Canon behind.

@limvo05 wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

LV

What "innovation" wouldn't have increased the size, weight, or cost?

From the picture, the color looks identical to that of the IS II (light gray).

And IIRC, the IS II was two or three hundred dollars more expensive when it came out. So what's not to like? Ernie's right: people will buy it, no matter what model number they assign to it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

coachboz68
Enthusiast

@limvo05 wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

LV

Having gone through a moderately torturous decision only a few weeks ago to buy the version II of this lens (but with great help from this forum! [1]), I have to say I'm a bit relieved that there really doesn't seem to be any material improvements that would affect IQ and performance over the II.  Conversely, I did notice material differences between my version I and the new version II (notably in sharpness and focus speed). 

So, admittedly quite selfishly, I still feel good about the version II purchase, and it was $200 less (though I think the version II prices may drop a little now that this one is out?)  Such is the game of keeping up with equipment!  

I did see that the 70-200 f/4 version seems to have gotten quite nice upgrades, while the F/2.8 looks more like a modest incremental improvement.  

I'm also generally hestiant to dive into brand new releases of anything.  I guess that's from being in the software industry for 25 years.  Makes me a little gun shy, but that's pure superstition when it comes to Canon equipment because, as a point of fact, I have no idea as to their release quality for new versions/models of things!  

[1] http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/EF-70-200mm-f-2-8-L-IS-I-vs-II/td-p/243058 

I got mine V2 for $1200, it was an open-box unit. At that price I don't think I can complain much, and at my level of photography right now, I say MK2 is plenty.

I think deep down we all would like to have the latest and gratest. If only $ isn't a concern, till then I'll stay with MK2.

Cheers,

LV

I got my 70-200 f2.8 MkII some years ago - an absolutely fabulous lens and I have no need to upgrade to the Mk III - I suspect that at 65 my eyes will fail to distinguish the difference in output!  I will be interested instead to await a pro-level MILC and will also save my pennies to go to the Galapagos, the Masai Mara, the Antarctic, and Churchill Manitoba before I am too old to do so - I have just enjoyed a full knee replacement and I  am champing at the bit to go out and be able to be mobile again.  So many people spend their lives buying gear when an investment in travel to picturesque places would get them a better return.

I suspect the take-up will be for people who MUST have the latest gear, some genuine pro's and people buying from scratch - that said for the latter group they could well consider a MkII second hand as I am already seeing a proliferation of these lenses on web sites..

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements