cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 18-55mm EF-S focusing ring wiggles with manual focus

musicman
Apprentice

Hello, I'm a new Canon (and DSLR) user. I've got a T3i with the kit 18-55mm EF-S IS Lens. I've had it for several months now, and really enjoying the power and flexibility of the camera as I'm learning how to use it, but I'm experiencing a problem with trying to manual focus during video. The focusing ring on the lens wiggles just a little - it's very small, but just that little bit causes video to jump and jiggle when using manual focus at even the slightest finger shake. I use my camera mostly for video, and at least 50% of my video takes require manual focus, so this is a big problem for me.

Can I fix this myself or is this a problem that requires a professional fix-job? Or is it just a deficiency in the cheap lens? I'm on a tight budget, and while I'm hoping to pick up a 50mm, the wiggle in my 18-55mm makes video with manual focus useless unless the greatest care (and luck) happen to pull off a decent shot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can I fix this myself or is this a problem that requires a professional fix-job?"

You can not likely fix it yourself and it is not a good candidate for professional repair.

"...just a deficiency in the cheap lens?"

It is a "cheap" lens but they seem to work fairly well and have for many years for many people.  It may be the most widely sold lens in the world until the release of the STM version.  The STM version is much better and is way better than yours for video.  I would go that route in favor of repairing yours.  In fact I would buy it even if yours was not broken.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It sounds like your lens could be broken in some way.  It is likely that you can buy a used one for less than the cost of a repair.

I recommend replacing with a new Canon lens.  The updated EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is a good choice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can I fix this myself or is this a problem that requires a professional fix-job?"

You can not likely fix it yourself and it is not a good candidate for professional repair.

"...just a deficiency in the cheap lens?"

It is a "cheap" lens but they seem to work fairly well and have for many years for many people.  It may be the most widely sold lens in the world until the release of the STM version.  The STM version is much better and is way better than yours for video.  I would go that route in favor of repairing yours.  In fact I would buy it even if yours was not broken.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138173/highlight/tru...

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
  10. Profit.

Hopefully this solves your problems, and you never have to worry about it again! With my personal lenses that are not USM or STM, I always store and transport them with the AF/MF switch in the MF position. This disengages the focusing motor and prevents any accidental damage to the auto focusing motor.

If this didn't solve your problem, please feel free to click HERE to contact us for additional troubleshooting, and explore other options that might be available to you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim
Authority

Hello musicman, 

Others have offered good suggestions so I think you got some valid feedback there.  If you would like service on the lens we'd be able to take a look at this for you.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements