cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400 vii lens - Pictures could be sharper Need help!

Summerlee340
Enthusiast

Okay, so it could be me - I'm not a total noob, but who knows. Been shooting with my Canon Rebel T3i for several years. Mostly used my 55-250 kit lens and at times I got some tack sharp photos from that lens

Regarding my new 100-400 vii lens, I have yet to get a crisp shot - the shots are just okay to me. Granted I am hand holding the camera and lens when  trying to take photos, and it is a bit heavy (mostly of birds and wildlife) but I do have the IS on.  I usually shoot on M but lately I've been using TV mode - my photos are okay but they just are not sharp enough.  I have it on AF - and sometimes it takes a few seconds to focus.

Even with my tripod, again, the shots are okay - some are passable, but I know what sharp is as I've taken a few with my 55-250 and so far I'm not cutting it.  

I usually have the lens to full zoom at 400 and I try to keep the shutter speed at least 400 as I've read the focal length should be reciprocal to the shutter speed.  My histogram looks great quite often...

Question/Issues:  Perhaps I am too far away from my subject? Birds are so skittish so I usually stand maybe  20 feet away.

I thought with the larger zoom that meant I wouldn't have to be as close to my subject .  

So am I too far away?

If someone has a few moments, perhaps I can get some advice or point me to a great website....Thanks very much.

64 REPLIES 64

The 100-400 Mark II shuts IS off when mounted to a tripod according to Canon.

@frodoboy wrote:

The 100-400 Mark II shuts IS off when mounted to a tripod according to Canon.

Only with select camera bodies, though.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"In chapter of the article, they discuss IS and a tripod."

All I can say is test it for yourself.  Don't be like Tommy Boy and just read stuff to draw your conclusions.  Try it, you may be surprised.  Again, I am not saying that every lens is this way just that I have not seen it on the ones I have tested. 

This is a big reason I buy so many lenses.  I am just curious on how they really work.  I see it as a fun time 'hobby' if you will.

I could have a worse hobby like gofl, I guess. Smiley LOL

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"In chapter of the article, they discuss IS and a tripod."

All I can say is test it for yourself.  Don't be like Tommy Boy and just read stuff to draw your conclusions.  Try it, you may be surprised.  Again, I am not saying that every lens is this way just that I have not seen it on the ones I have tested. 

This is a big reason I buy so many lenses.  I am just curious on how they really work.  I see it as a fun time 'hobby' if you will.

I could have a worse hobby like gofl, I guess. Smiley LOL

I turn it off, anyway, whenever I'm mounted on a tripod.  The feature is not something I rely on, but it is something to be aware of, that being that IS can go to sleep  

You can occasionally hear IS motors at work in some lenses, which is what led me to research it and finding that article.  I have found that IS can be significant drain on your camera battery, because it seems like it is always active for as long as the camera is "awake."  That article confirmed by suspicions.

Your reaction of the article's content is the identical reaction when I have posted it in the past.  You seem to have a bit of experience on the subject of IS on a tripod.  Do you have any recommendations on a testing procedure?  I wouldn't know where to begin.  I always turn it off, because it doesn't seem to help with shutter vibrations, anyway.  Maybe IS doesn't help with shutter vibrations because it has gone to sleep!

Just as most Standard IS algorithms are not suited for panning, most of the IS algorithms may not be suited for the type of harmonic vibrations that a tripod may create.  I suppose you could almost say that certain lenses have an extra hidden mode, tripod mode.

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day, Ernie, and the rest of the gang, too.

Wadizzle, for a second, I thought the above post was to me, then realized it's to ebiggs. Anyhow, just wanted to chime in for a sec and wanted to add that the first time I heard a "noise" coming from my lens, I had no clue it was the IS until I looked it up. It's like a clicking sound. Rainy day here on Long Island....

@Summerlee340 wrote:
Wadizzle, for a second, I thought the above post was to me, then realized it's to ebiggs. Anyhow, just wanted to chime in for a sec and wanted to add that the first time I heard a "noise" coming from my lens, I had no clue it was the IS until I looked it up. It's like a clicking sound. Rainy day here on Long Island....

According to the list at the link, the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has what I'm going to call IS Tripod Mode.  I think it is something that is good to know about.  There is no way to tell when the IS is enabled or has automatically disabled itself, except for the lack of the occasional quiet "scratch" noise from the lens.  I have never heard the IS scratching noise noise from my 100-400, nor from my EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, either, under any circumstances.

Seeing how IS tends to be active for as long as the camera is "awake", I think the fact that I seem to get WAY more battery life with the 100-400 than with other lenses not one the list coul be evidence that the lens does disable IS when on a tripod, and also when it detects excessive movement such as when you're walking around, gently swinging the camera.

I am in the NYC area, too, and it's been pouring off and on.  I wanted to attend an event with Osprey an Blackhawk helicopters, but not if it is raining buckets. 

"Do you have any recommendations on a testing procedure?"

No, just try various things.  All the Moon shots I posted had ther IS left on.  Not that, that is proof but another indication I rarely turn it off.

" I wouldn't know where to begin."

I don't believe that for a moment.  You are too knowledgeable to say that.

"Have a safe and happy Memorial Day, Ernie, and to all of yours too, and the rest of the gang, too."

And the whole Canon Community.

I am playing a Memorial Day Service today at 11:00 today.  I am sure it will be moving.  It always is.

EB

@Waddizzle wrote:

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day, Ernie, and the rest of the gang, too.

This member of the gang spent the morning playing "Taps" six times (and "Amazing Grace" once) in 50-degree weather at our town's Memorial Day ceremonies. And then thawed out watching the Red Sox manager (who has no idea when to pull the pitcher) throw their game away in Chicago. Thank goodness the rest of the gang has posted a bunch of messages in the forum to help me get my sanity back.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

I spent the morning doing the Memorial Day Ceremony at the county seat for Johnson county Kansas.  It was my 17th year in a row doing this ceremony.

"(who has no idea when to pull the pitcher)"

Ha, the Royals manager keeps a pitcher in until at least the 6th inning come hell or high water.  I actually don't understand why they pay managers so much money when they don't seem to know any more about baseball.  Do they not understand it is knowing when to pull the pitcher before the damage is done rather than after?

EB

Summerlee340
Enthusiast
Thank you ebiggs . Those tips are very good advice. I do keep my elbows close together but I don't think I hold the camera all that tightly etc. I need to shoot more....thanks again!
Announcements