cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400 vii lens - Pictures could be sharper Need help!

Summerlee340
Enthusiast

Okay, so it could be me - I'm not a total noob, but who knows. Been shooting with my Canon Rebel T3i for several years. Mostly used my 55-250 kit lens and at times I got some tack sharp photos from that lens

Regarding my new 100-400 vii lens, I have yet to get a crisp shot - the shots are just okay to me. Granted I am hand holding the camera and lens when  trying to take photos, and it is a bit heavy (mostly of birds and wildlife) but I do have the IS on.  I usually shoot on M but lately I've been using TV mode - my photos are okay but they just are not sharp enough.  I have it on AF - and sometimes it takes a few seconds to focus.

Even with my tripod, again, the shots are okay - some are passable, but I know what sharp is as I've taken a few with my 55-250 and so far I'm not cutting it.  

I usually have the lens to full zoom at 400 and I try to keep the shutter speed at least 400 as I've read the focal length should be reciprocal to the shutter speed.  My histogram looks great quite often...

Question/Issues:  Perhaps I am too far away from my subject? Birds are so skittish so I usually stand maybe  20 feet away.

I thought with the larger zoom that meant I wouldn't have to be as close to my subject .  

So am I too far away?

If someone has a few moments, perhaps I can get some advice or point me to a great website....Thanks very much.

64 REPLIES 64

Summerlee,

"I need to shoot more..."  Smiley Happy

Bingo!  You just discovered the solution.  Practice, practice and more practice.  I teach music at the local school in the Summer Music Program.  I tell all the youngsters, 5th graders, that very "secret" to becoming good at whatever you do.  Whether it be music, baseball, art, etc. or photography.

Go outside and shoot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks! Yes, practice... - I played the piano for years and that is pretty much all I heard (as a teen). Glad I listened.

I know I said I would take more photos with the 100-400 on my tripod, but I had my 55-250 on, and saw tons of birds out of my window, so just went with that lens-hand held, for now.  Here are two photos.  The one of the woodpecker - I really tried to focus on the eye. The other birds, it was a bit harder to do that.  So when I focus on the eye, it appears that the surrounding area is a little sharper. I need more practice, but wanted to show you two more photos since. Again, I know it's on my other lens and not pertinent to my original question.  On another note, I downloaded DPP free from Canon. I will need a tutorial on how to use that. Wow - don't know where to begin. I wish I was retired so I could play more with this.

Baby grackles.JPGBaby grackles.JPG

Those are nice shots.

Whether the lens turns itself off on a tripod is not the issue.  Whatever works for you is the issue.  If you feel that switching the IS off helps, by all means do it.  I don't see that so I don't mess with it and leave it on most all the time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, ebiggs,

You addressed (on 5/29 at 3:46) whether the "lens turns itsel off on a tripod" - I think that issue was brought up by someone else (I think maybe Wadizzle) on this thread, but, that's fine because I am learning. 

And before I consider switching the IS off when I'm using my tripod, I'm at the stage where I want to figure out the three stages of the IS on this lens.

Practice makes perfect! 

Announcements