cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you pick......

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Can you pick the one taken by a lens that is considered the sharpest there is vs the one that isn't considered the best in IQ?

3rd one thrown in just to make it more challenging.  Only lens correction in LR has been done. No special lab techinques done either just a quck snap shot.  This is just the way it is done in real world use.

_52D8125-Edit.jpg

_DX_0307-Edit.jpg

MK2N7221-Edit.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
23 REPLIES 23

Rick actually the test was between A and C.   B was just a spoiler to make it more difficult.  It isn't even a 35mm lens.

The point is the very best lens the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon vs a lens considered by most to be not very good the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.  Plus it was a prime vs a zoom.

If you picked A then you are pretty "sharp" at picking lenses. "I feel great because my untrained eye was spot on!"  Smiley Happy

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Plus, the place of the focus point doesn’t always mean the place of focus if the AFMA isn’t on target.

To me the bottom line is that there are many factors that ultimately affect how sharp an image is, and those factors can negate the lens quality. We try to control those factors to maximize image quality.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ScottyP
Authority

The bokeh balls in shot "C" contain some onion rings and some inclusions.

"A" looks sharper than "B".

None of these differences are all lthat major in this shot.

Did you correct for CA?  I would have expected to see more of it in a shot including sharp edges against a bright background.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Scott, I have a preset in LR that does lens correction upon import.  I never change it and it runs on every photo.  So yes, CA was done.  One lens was the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon.  One was another 35mm and the other was a 50mm.  Perhaps that clue will help.

EB
Announcements