cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you pick......

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Can you pick the one taken by a lens that is considered the sharpest there is vs the one that isn't considered the best in IQ?

3rd one thrown in just to make it more challenging.  Only lens correction in LR has been done. No special lab techinques done either just a quck snap shot.  This is just the way it is done in real world use.

_52D8125-Edit.jpg

_DX_0307-Edit.jpg

MK2N7221-Edit.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
23 REPLIES 23

diverhank
Authority

A seems to be the sharpest and B seems to be the least sharp but it was very hard to tell.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Agree. Used the white specks in the letters as the basis for my decision.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"... but it was very hard to tell."

Thank you, that is the point. Smiley Happy

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Photo “A” looks the sharpest to me.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I rate B the sharpest. Check the water droplets on the straw and the right edge of the cup's plastic top. But the harshness of the blown highlights in the background detracts from the overall effect. So I think A has the best bokeh. The background might be somewhat correctable in post, the sharpness not so much.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think you can draw a sensible conclusion about the bokeh. None of the three pictures is a keeper; and if Ernie were doing it for real, he'd do something about the harsh backlighting.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Is it possible that DOF/focus shift-AFMA issues prevents a correct answer?

As Bob says, the water droplets/straw are sharper in B, but the trademark "R" looks sharper in A and less sharp in B.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Each lens is nearly the same FL and the single focus point was on the center of the cup if that helps.

EB

Ernie,

No fair...  "C" was taken at a different focal length.  (Ha Ha)

"B" sharpest, "A" lower quality

"C" is the bonus shot.

Bets placed (gulp)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"No fair... "

You are correct, sir.  It isn't fair

EB
Announcements