Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-09-2017

Black specks in lens.

The canon EOS t5 rebel was my first DSLR camera, and I loved it. Up until now, where I have black specks in the lens. The specks aren't reachable by air compressors either, they're in that part which is in between the rear and front lens. I found a video that told me I could unscrew the front lens (by taking off the sticker) and then reach that middle lens. Unfortunately, the lens I have has the screws on really tight, and I can't unscrew them. How can I get rid of the dirt and junk in my middle lens?

Note:I got my camera refurbished from a bundle on the canon website.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,182
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Black specks in lens.


LeviTanjyobiwa wrote:
The canon EOS t5 rebel was my first DSLR camera, and I loved it. Up until now, where I have black specks in the lens. The specks aren't reachable by air compressors either, they're in that part which is in between the rear and front lens. I found a video that told me I could unscrew the front lens (by taking off the sticker) and then reach that middle lens. Unfortunately, the lens I have has the screws on really tight, and I can't unscrew them. How can I get rid of the dirt and junk in my middle lens?

Note:I got my camera refurbished from a bundle on the canon website.

Black specs inside of lens sounds like mold.  What is the lens model number?  If it is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-6.3 IS II lens that came with the T5 as kit, then that lens isn't worth much.  If you have mold, I would be inclined to toss the lens and buy a new one, so that the mold does not spread to the camera.  

 

Refurbished gear should have had a one year warranty.  Has the lens gotten wet, or been exposed to prolonged periods of high humidity?  Mold and mildew needs to be professionally removed.  The cost of sanitizing a kit lens would far exceed the value of the kit lens.  

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,461
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: Black specks in lens.


LeviTanjyobiwa wrote:
The canon EOS t5 rebel was my first DSLR camera, and I loved it. Up until now, where I have black specks in the lens. The specks aren't reachable by air compressors either, they're in that part which is in between the rear and front lens. I found a video that told me I could unscrew the front lens (by taking off the sticker) and then reach that middle lens. Unfortunately, the lens I have has the screws on really tight, and I can't unscrew them. How can I get rid of the dirt and junk in my middle lens?

Note:I got my camera refurbished from a bundle on the canon website.

Using  compressed air is probably what drove the dirt in there to start with.

 

Never use compressed air or canned air to clean your camera or lenses.

 

If a hand squeezed bulb blower doesn't remove the dust from the surface of the lens, then use a brush designed for that purpose, if that doesn't work then resort to wet cleaning, and then as a final resort a LensPen.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,272
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Black specks in lens.

I doubt the 'black' specs are mold.  Mold isn't usually black. Do the black specs show up on your pictures?  Most likely they don't.  Specs and even cracks on the front element are OOF and the camera can't see them.  It does depend on which lens it is because removing them can cost more than the lens is worth.  If it is an "L" lens than of course you need to have a C&C done by Canon.

If not and they don't show up, just use it and forget about the black specs.  All lenses will have dust and specs sooner or later.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,588
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: Black specks in lens.

[ Edited ]

ebiggs1 wrote:

I doubt the 'black' specs are mold.  Mold isn't usually black. Do the black specs show up on your pictures?  Most likely they don't.  Specs and even cracks on the front element are OOF and the camera can't see them.  It does depend on which lens it is because removing them can cost more than the lens is worth.  If it is an "L" lens than of course you need to have a C&C done by Canon.

If not and they don't show up, just use it and forget about the black specs.  All lenses will have dust and specs sooner or later.


I agree with this thought, that the specs probably don't affect the photos. Are you seeing specs in your photos?  Very possibly you are not, as the specs would tend to be OOF except possibly if you stopped all the way down to f/16 or so.  You can even shoot through a chain link fence and make the chain links disappear by shooting wide open with the lens very close to the fence. 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "fer-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,272
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Black specks in lens.

"You can even shoot through a chain link fence and make the chain links disappear..."

 

Done that!  Smiley Happy

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎02-10-2017

Re: Black specks in lens.

I agree with Waddizle. It would be much better to buy a new one. You could probably get a much better one for the cost of a refurbished model.
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-09-2017

Re: Black specks in lens.

It doesn't look like mold. I think it's just dirt or something. See, I lost the rear lens cover so I had the lens kinda squished down a bit (zoomed in halfway) so it would fit in my backpack that I take to school.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 2,777
Registered: ‎06-11-2013

Re: Black specks in lens.


LeviTanjyobiwa wrote:
See, I lost the rear lens cover so I had the lens kinda squished down a bit (zoomed in halfway) so it would fit in my backpack that I take to school.

Spend $5.60 to protect your lens.  Protecting it from harm is cheaper than repairing or replacing it after it's been harmed.

 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lens-dust-cap-e-rear-cap

 

 

Tim Campbell
5D II, 5D III, 60Da
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement