cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Lenses for Canon 80D Movemaking

JWFilms21
Apprentice

I am trying to figure out which lens to buy for my Canon 80D for a independent movie I'm making.

The Lenses That I Own 

-Canon 50mm 1:1.18 Lens (lowlight)

-Canon 18 -135mm (standard)

I want a lens that is good when shooting 24 fps or 23.98 fps in low light areas and is compatible when shooting people (actors) and beautiful scenary. Also that can easily focus/unfocus and zoom. 

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums,

Keep in mind those independent movies are only going to be 29:59 sec or less.  The Digic 6 sensor and low ISO on the 80D isn't the absolute greatest for low light photography.  Its a nice body, but does have some limitations. 

EF-S 17-55 f2.8 is a hard lens to beat on APS-C.  This will give good wide angle coverage for landscapes with some reach.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Keep in mind those independent movies are only going to be 29:59 sec or less."

Or even less depending on file size.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JWFilms21 wrote:

I am trying to figure out which lens to buy for my Canon 80D for a independent movie I'm making.

The Lenses That I Own 

-Canon 50mm 1:1.18 Lens (lowlight)

-Canon 18 -135mm (standard)

I want a lens that is good when shooting 24 fps or 23.98 fps in low light areas and is compatible when shooting people (actors) and beautiful scenary. Also that can easily focus/unfocus and zoom. 

Any suggestions?

Those are great lenses to get you up and running.  But, you may quickly find them just as useful as restrictive. You may wish to invest in a filter holder system, for ND filters, instead of screw on filters.

"Any suggestions?"  No, your requirements suggest multiple lenses, not one.

If you are serious about independent movie making, then you probably would want a fully manual, cinema lens.  While the lenses you cited would work great with the 80D for capturing short video clips, they will be less useful for serious movie making.

Combined with the 80D, you will have very good focus tracking in video mode.  But, you will not have control of the aperture while recording.  Those lenses have an electronically controlled aperture.  Also, the aperture changes in discrete steps. Changing aperture will result in sudden small changes in exposure, not a smooth transistion.

A cinema lens has a "de-clicked" aperture, which smoothly changes the aperture, instead of in discrete steps like a photo lens would.  I have bought a couple of Rokinon cinema lenses for my son, and myself.  He uses them for video.  I mostly use them for photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you google "lens rentals", you will find a company that will let you rent whatever lens you want, including cinema lenses.

Announcements