Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
dry
New Contributor

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

I experienced the same problem with the AF not working. I tried the careful fixes like cleaning and the multiple steps Julius suggested. None worked, so I decided to try Crystal's "pop" method. It worked! What did I have to lose? I did lose a day at Mackinaw, but making up for it today!
Occasional Contributor

I'm having this exact same issue with my kit lens as well (EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS).

In MF mode i turn the focus to close-up. Then, when I switch to AF and focus to something further away it works, but when I try and focus on something closer again it won't focus/move.

Hoping that someone knows the reason why this is, helping me troubleshoot what the problem could be.

Hi Steria!

Check out the suggestion from Julius on page three HERE.

If that doesn't work, you'll want to reach out to support for options at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Stephen,

I did try some of the suggestions in this thread before creating a post, but unfortunately they did not work for me. I also tried one more time after your suggestion here, but it still did not do anything for me. I've seen that some others in this thread have a problem where their autofocus does not work at all, but as stated above (and in the reply on page 2 by Martmcin as well) my autofocus works 50% (works one way but not the other).

Could it still be that the focusing motor has to be put back into its proper place in my case here?

Hi Steria!

It could be that the focusing motor needs to be re-aligned (usually the steps provided do that trick), or it could be that the focusing assembly has been damaged. If the assembly is damaged, it's time to look into repair or replacement of the lens. Smiley Sad