cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus (18-55mm IS) retracts but doesn't extend out!

Steria
Contributor

I'm having this issue with my kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS), that the autofocus retracts from an extended position, but does not extend back out again.

In MF mode i turn the focus to "close-up" (I extend out the lens). Then, when I switch to AF and focus to something further away it works and starts focusing, but when I try and focus on something closer again it won't focus/move back (the lens doesn't extend again).

Hoping that someone knows the reason why this is, helping me troubleshoot what the problem is/could be. Also whether this is an easy fix or not.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not think there is anything wrong with the lens.  As a matter of fact, it is the camera body that is full control of the autofocusing process.  Many lenses can struggle switching from very close to distant subjects.  The more expensive lenses bear this fact out.  They have focus mode switches, which set the range of distances over which the lens will AF.

You can either give the lens a kick in the right direction, as you have described.  Or, you can focus on a couple objects at intermediate distances, instead of going from close up straight to far away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Steria wrote:

I'm having this issue with my kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS), that the autofocus retracts from an extended position, but does not extend back out again.

In MF mode i turn the focus to "close-up" (I extend out the lens). Then, when I switch to AF and focus to something further away it works and starts focusing, but when I try and focus on something closer again it won't focus/move back (the lens doesn't extend again).

Hoping that someone knows the reason why this is, helping me troubleshoot what the problem is/could be. Also whether this is an easy fix or not.

I bought a used 18-55/3,5-5,6 IS and have exactly the same problem. I opened the lens and thought I had solved it but I think I will reopen it again. It is not worth a proper repair.

Announcements