cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Focus Issues 28-135mm IS USM on a 7D

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast

I understand that this topic has been rehashed to death but my issue is a bit different. Camera is a Cannon 7D. I picked up a lens from a good friend fellow photographer that other than the camera body all my current lenses were his first lenses. Right now I just picked up a EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM from him, to give me a decent mid range lens for my bag. At first I thought it was just an issue past 70 mm where it would just continue to hunt for focus. Even in One Shot, Center spot focus it will just sit there and twitch between infinity and 50 feet on the dial. At full zoom it will sit and bounce in the infinity range never actually locking on to focus. If I touch the focus ring and move it, or nudge it it will sometime lock but it will be far from focused.

I set up my big tripod, white sheet backdrop and a solid object (Clay Frog) non reflective about 10 feet away. I lit it with a lamp. I set the lens on it's minimum zoom, camera is in P mode. I turn on live view and using the zoom on live view get as close to the object as I can get zoom wise via the live view. Lens is still at 28mm. I hit the shutter half way and zip zip beep. About a 1/8 of a turn out of focus. I swap to my 18-55 and zip zip in focus. So it's definitely a lens issue, even my Tamron 70-300 focused sharp at all points. Swap back to the 28-135 and it won't focus. I can put it in manual and get a super sharp image and a beautiful picture.

I have reset the camera a few times as originally something I changed left the stabilizer on all the time. So the camera other than my custom settings for the C Modes have been reset.
I have carefully blown out the inside the best I can of the lens with a bulb, and have verified the front lens is not crooked.

Friend has offered me a full refund for the lens but it's a 2 hour plus round trip again to get it back to him. Am I missing something or unbeknownst to him since the lens sat a few years sadly without a rear cover on did something happen internal and it's not worth the hassle to have it fixed? I paid $80 for the lens which I thought was fair as most are going $100-120 on eBay right now. I have a gig Saturday I guess I'll be shooting in manual focus now. Be taking 1000+ photos and auto would be really nice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast
For inquiring minds. No water damage.

"Your product has been examined and a torn fpc was found causing an error to be displayed. The power diaphragm assembly was replaced. Further, it was found that the af assembly was jammed causing the auto focus to operate improperly . The af assembly was replaced. The unit was cleaned. Product functions were confirmed. "

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast
Forgot to mention putting the lens on her camera created an instant lens error in hers. And after fussing with it more on mine it now tosses an error when it tries to focus.

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast
Repair estimate ticket for the lens done and including the body for a sensor cleaning. I didn't feel it was worth the $168 for a full inspection and cleaning when I know it works fine just needs a professional interior cleaning. Hoping USPS treats it right and I'll insure it properly and get it sent off tomorrow or Monday before I leave town. Thanks again everyone fingers crossed it's something inexpensive to fix or they give me a good deal on an upgrade lens. I paid $80 for the lens already so hopefully if anything I can at least get that back out of it.

@Iggythetiggy wrote:
Repair estimate ticket for the lens done and including the body for a sensor cleaning. I didn't feel it was worth the $168 for a full inspection and cleaning when I know it works fine just needs a professional interior cleaning. Hoping USPS treats it right and I'll insure it properly and get it sent off tomorrow or Monday before I leave town. Thanks again everyone fingers crossed it's something inexpensive to fix or they give me a good deal on an upgrade lens. I paid $80 for the lens already so hopefully if anything I can at least get that back out of it.

The following is a personal opinion, but one with which I think most in this forum would agree.

When something goes wrong with your equipment, especially when you're not really sure what the problem is, there are two sensible options: get it fixed properly or relegate it to the junk drawer. Getting it fixed on the cheap is a form of gambling that tends to have a pretty low payoff. I think it's a good guess that whoever sold you the camera and lens felt the same way.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No offence, I chose the sensor clean only because I know the camera is in superb condition. there is not a scratch anywhere on the camra, the LCD screen is scratch free, no markings are worn, and all the buttons work as intended.  I just have to learn to use the camera better, as I know I am not using it to its full potential, and I know there is better ways to use it then how I am. When I purchased it, it had and ultra low shutter count, (under 100),  I do know the sensor needs a professional cleaning to get some dust I am afraid to go after on the sensor, and there is some up in the viewfinder area I can see even with no lens on the camera. I wasnt going to send the body in at all but, Customer Support asked that I send the body in with the lens, so they can 100% duplicate the issue I am having. So I figured while they had it the least I can do is have it cleaned. Nothing saying I am going cheap, its what I can afford right now. Im on full disability, so spending $300+ is out of the question currently. I purchased the camera from a top local camera shop a friend works at, I was going after a newer 5D Mk2 but he gave me a screaming deal on the 7D used. It was gone thru by their professional and given a full 10/10 condition. They just wanted it out of their stock fast to not interfere with new cameras, so I took the offer. It works fine with all my other lenes, but I know Im far from the cameras full potential with the older lensses I posess, again only because its what I can afford.  I got the Lens from the same person out of his private collection, It had just sat on his shelf a few years, since he went from Cannon to the new Sony, now hes sold pretty much all his newer stuff and is doing Full Format and Vintage cameras, so knowing I had a gap in my lens collection sold me the 28-135 for a deal, to help me out, with a lens that was closer to age to the 7D than my old 18-55 from the Rebel, and the Tamron 70-300 thtas off an even older Cannon.  I know the lens is bunk, but I felt its worth having cannon look at it for free, to finalize that notion, who knows it could be something 3 people have missed.  but Cannon has offered me if it is unrepairable to upgrade or buy a factory refurbished lens, somaybe I can recoup a bit of the money I spent on the lens, if not my friend has offered me a full refund for the lens, but then he said hed have to send it in for inspection, as he has no idea why its doing what it is. it was never abused, never gotten wet, only issue was the rear lens cap went missing somehow a while back so he figures it sat body side down for 5-6 months. I trust the guy, Ive know him for 8-10 years so its not like hes scamming me.  Hes agreed to help with shipping costs as well, hes as much confused why it isnt working as I am. But since I tried it on another Cannon, and it did the same thing, I know for a fact, its the lens and not the camera, and when I tried her identical lens on mine it worked flawlessly.  

So why should I spend $170+ to have my camera professionally inspected, when it just needs someone to clean the insides, besides if they do see somethig during that that needs repaired, they will notify me.  I dont have the $500+ for a new lens right now. so I took a gamble on this lens for $80, and its supposed to be a decent lens, and is perfect for the type of photograpy I do. if this one gets sent back to me, ill take a chance again on another. 

As far as shipping goes, I do not have the original box, again since I purchased it used, I got it in a small box with no padding, the lens was just handed to me as I picked it up in person.  I am hoping if i pack it well in a small box, and then pad the large flat rate box to stick ithe smaller box in the bigger, it should be fine. Ill insure it for the value of the camera and lens, and get it on its way.  IF someone still thinks what I am doing iss not enough feel free to send me the funds to do it correctly.  Im doing what I can right now for the give situation. I just want a lens that works, and if I am being cheap about it so be it..

@Iggythetiggy wrote:

No offence, I chose the sensor clean only because I know the camera is in superb condition. there is not a scratch anywhere on the camra, the LCD screen is scratch free, no markings are worn, and all the buttons work as intended.  I just have to learn to use the camera better, as I know I am not using it to its full potential, and I know there is better ways to use it then how I am. When I purchased it, it had and ultra low shutter count, (under 100),  I do know the sensor needs a professional cleaning to get some dust I am afraid to go after on the sensor, and there is some up in the viewfinder area I can see even with no lens on the camera. I wasnt going to send the body in at all but, Customer Support asked that I send the body in with the lens, so they can 100% duplicate the issue I am having. So I figured while they had it the least I can do is have it cleaned. Nothing saying I am going cheap, its what I can afford right now. Im on full disability, so spending $300+ is out of the question currently. I purchased the camera from a top local camera shop a friend works at, I was going after a newer 5D Mk2 but he gave me a screaming deal on the 7D used. It was gone thru by their professional and given a full 10/10 condition. They just wanted it out of their stock fast to not interfere with new cameras, so I took the offer. It works fine with all my other lenes, but I know Im far from the cameras full potential with the older lensses I posess, again only because its what I can afford.  I got the Lens from the same person out of his private collection, It had just sat on his shelf a few years, since he went from Cannon to the new Sony, now hes sold pretty much all his newer stuff and is doing Full Format and Vintage cameras, so knowing I had a gap in my lens collection sold me the 28-135 for a deal, to help me out, with a lens that was closer to age to the 7D than my old 18-55 from the Rebel, and the Tamron 70-300 thtas off an even older Cannon.  I know the lens is bunk, but I felt its worth having cannon look at it for free, to finalize that notion, who knows it could be something 3 people have missed.  but Cannon has offered me if it is unrepairable to upgrade or buy a factory refurbished lens, somaybe I can recoup a bit of the money I spent on the lens, if not my friend has offered me a full refund for the lens, but then he said hed have to send it in for inspection, as he has no idea why its doing what it is. it was never abused, never gotten wet, only issue was the rear lens cap went missing somehow a while back so he figures it sat body side down for 5-6 months. I trust the guy, Ive know him for 8-10 years so its not like hes scamming me.  Hes agreed to help with shipping costs as well, hes as much confused why it isnt working as I am. But since I tried it on another Cannon, and it did the same thing, I know for a fact, its the lens and not the camera, and when I tried her identical lens on mine it worked flawlessly.  

So why should I spend $170+ to have my camera professionally inspected, when it just needs someone to clean the insides, besides if they do see somethig during that that needs repaired, they will notify me.  I dont have the $500+ for a new lens right now. so I took a gamble on this lens for $80, and its supposed to be a decent lens, and is perfect for the type of photograpy I do. if this one gets sent back to me, ill take a chance again on another. 

As far as shipping goes, I do not have the original box, again since I purchased it used, I got it in a small box with no padding, the lens was just handed to me as I picked it up in person.  I am hoping if i pack it well in a small box, and then pad the large flat rate box to stick ithe smaller box in the bigger, it should be fine. Ill insure it for the value of the camera and lens, and get it on its way.  IF someone still thinks what I am doing iss not enough feel free to send me the funds to do it correctly.  Im doing what I can right now for the give situation. I just want a lens that works, and if I am being cheap about it so be it..

Despite the length of that explanation, I still don't quite understand what you're planning to do. Which matters not at all, because it's entirely your decision. You don't have to justify it to any of us.

I sense that I didn't express it very well, but my opinion is simply stated: The less you have to spend, the more important it is to get your money's worth. If I need something fixed right, I'll probably send it to Canon. They may not be the cheapest, but I think the risk-to-reward ratio is lowest.

For shipping, wrap the camera in bubble wrap with a couple of beefy rubber bands around it; seal it in a cardboard box; and take it to your local FedEx or UPS site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Big question is how does everyone ship it."

The best shipping box is the box it came in.  Canon has designed that box to provide adequate protection.

You need to bite the bullet and spring for the C&C.  $168 is well worth what you get.  Then take better care of your camera if it is that dirty.

"I paid $80 for the lens already ..." 

Whoa! $80 bucks for the lens?  Time to cut your loses and get a new lens. Why do all the frustration?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast
Right now the plan is to get the dust out of the camera to be 100% sure the camera is not to blame for anything. Figured for now the basic cleaning will be fine, as the camera is in perfect shape just may have been left open at some point. Since it functions I figured it was a waste to spend the $100+ more for the extras they do like tightening screws and testing. Down the road after a few thousand more photos I'll have the C&C done when I have more money to spare. I'm no professional shooter but I eventually want to be really good.

As for the lens it's not costing me anything to have it looked at. They gave me a deal they will ship it back with the camera at no additional charge of I chose not to repair (not worth it) or upgrade (I feel I won't be able to afford it right now anyway unless I get a killer deal) the customer support person I talked to said they will put it on a special machine to test it and it should say. What's wrong but wanted the body so they can see what I am talking about. They said they have never heard a lens do what I am saying.

But on the flip side should they find the lens good and for some reason it is the camera, at that time I will opt for a more thorough inspection of the camera. I have giving them the go ahead for that for an estimate.

I found a smaller box, and wrapped the lens and body in Big bubble wrap with some strapping tape, put them in that box. Lined the medium Flat rate box with peanuts and bubble and padded all sides and then did the same with an Large flat rate box. Sealed the box and wrapped it in multiple directions with strapping tape. I shipped it USPS Special Handling, insured for $750, priority mail. Cost $30, my post office lady was really impressed with the packing, and I stood there when she put the special handling and fragile stickers and one that said contains glass. As she hand placed it on the special delivery outgoing table. I've had rotten luck with my local UPS destroying stuff, and FedEx quoted me nearly double.

I understand if I just spent the $170 now for the C&C I'd never have to send it in again for a long time, but it's pressing finances enough just spending what I am for the basic clean and shipping. Reserving a bit in case they give me a decent upgrade option. But again if they find something screwy with the body during cleaning I'll have to make a decision at that point.

Have to apologize. I have a difficult time trying to explain things in text. I can get a bit long winded trying to explain it.

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast
Cannon has the lens and body and did the sensor clean and said the camera body was not in need of a full C&C said send it back after a few thousand more pictures. As for the lens, my friend refunded me the money, I opted to repair as they gave me a good deal on the repair. No water damage it was one of the motors had failed. Call me stupid if I shouldn't of repaired, but at this point I'd rather have a repaired lens that works and not gamble with another used lens, or have to spend $300+ on a factory refurbished or $500 for a decent Tamron lens. I'll get there eventually.

Consider the thread closed. Thanks for all the help.

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast
For inquiring minds. No water damage.

"Your product has been examined and a torn fpc was found causing an error to be displayed. The power diaphragm assembly was replaced. Further, it was found that the af assembly was jammed causing the auto focus to operate improperly . The af assembly was replaced. The unit was cleaned. Product functions were confirmed. "
Announcements