cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affordable Wide Angle Low Light Lens

Metalliogre
Contributor

Good Morning!

I am in search for a nice wide angle low light lens I can use on my 70D. I would prefer something under $500. I am looking to capture photos of the night sky and landscapes at all times of the day/night. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Yes, it can do low light landscapes. First low light can be corrected for with slower shutter speeds. Between the wide angle and image stabilization with good technique you can handhold full one second exposures.

Also low light can be corrected by taking multiple photos and stacking them.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

"Again, normal handheld rule of thumb with a lens is 1/focal length (full frame) and 1/focal lenght x 1.6 (APS-C).

So an average person using proper technique should be able to handhold a 10mm lens on an APS-C camera at 1/16 of a second WITHOUT image stabilization. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This discussion began with your claim that people can easily make a handheld shot using a one second exposure.  All of this noise about 1/FL, is nothing more than an off-topic distraction.  You have changed the subject.  Have a nice day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Metalliogre
Contributor
You are absolutely right! I totally forgot about that. Thank you!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are a few Rokinon lenses that are preferred for night landscapes for a few reasons. 

1)  They're cheap

2)  They're completely manual (no electronics, no focus motor... even the aperture is the old manual ring just like the lens we shot back in the 1970's and earlier).

3)  While these lenses aren't particularly good for most common photography (due to the all manual nature), the lack of elecronics (which no astrophotographer could use anyway because you cant use auto-focus at night and you're typically always shooting wide-open anyway) they actually do have surprisingly decent optics (much better than I would have expected given the low price tag.)

There's a Rokinon 10 or 14mm f/2.8 lens which are both under $500.  There's a 24mm f/1.4 that's a bit over $500 (but still less than $600) but f/1.4 collects four times as much light as an f/2.8.  

The Sigma "Art" lenses are also getting good reviews from astrophotographers, but those cost quite a bit more.  

I have a Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM II... but it's not cheap.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Metalliogre,

Good Morning, to you!

Check out the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It is around $800 bucks and is probably the best lens made in this class.  I am fully impressed with it.  The 'Art' series lenses from Sigma are truly impressive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

Metalliogre,

Good Morning, to you!

Check out the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It is around $800 bucks and is probably the best lens made in this class.  I am fully impressed with it.  The 'Art' series lenses from Sigma are truly impressive.

How is that a wide-angle lens on a 70D?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bobby my boy,

He said, "I am in search for a nice wide angle low light lens..."

He did not say, how wide?  So the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon fills the bill as a, "nice wide angle low light lens", does it not?  Even up to 30mil, it is still a WA lens, is it not?

EB

ebiggs1 wrote:

Bobby my boy,

He said, "I am in search for a nice wide angle low light lens..."

He did not say, how wide?  So the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon fills the bill as a, "nice wide angle low light lens", does it not?  Even up to 30mil, it is still a WA lens, is it not?

Not in my book, it isn't. I'll concede that the 14mm Rokinon is a WA on a 70D, but 30mm is straight up normal - nothing remotely wide about it. True APS-C WA zooms top out at around 20mm.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

"Not in my book, ..."

Perhaps you need to update your book, Robert. Anything from 30mil down is considered WA on a cropper.

"True APS-C WA zooms top out at around 20mm."

Oh, the OP wanted a "true" APS-C WA zoom.  How could I have misunderstand?  Smiley Wink

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens is a best buy.  It is fast and wide, which is good for astrophotography.  Despite being a fully manual lens, it is also great for landscapes.  Because most landscape shots are of subjects that are not close to the camera, you can dial in the hyperfocal distance on the lens, and shoot away. 

3D8A0407.jpg

Everything more than a few feet from the lens will be in perfect focus.

3D8A0401.Cropped.jpg

Both photos were shot with a 7D Mark II.  Folks who live far from large urban areas are lucky.  I live in NYC, which means it is a several hours drive to find dark sky, suitable for capturing the Milky Way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You better stop it !  You are going to cause me to buy a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens.  Smiley Wink

Actually the only thing that has stopped me was Rokinon's horrendous lack of QC.  My astro buds have them and some have had to return them several times to get a good one.  I understand Rokinon has tried and made some great efforts to improve the QC.  I wonder what happens to all the returned lenses?  Do they just get shipped out to the next unsuspecting buyer? Or are they sent back to Rokinin?  Hmmm?

EB
Announcements