cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF Point Sensitivity with Narrow Aperture Lenses

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I guess that I've been thinking too much again.

I've run up against one of those, "Now how is that supposed to work," issues.  Except for the high end models, most of Canon's DSLRs cannot focus at f/8.  The cameras seem to top out at f/5.6. 

But, some lenses, like a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, can stop down to f/6.3 at the long end of the zoom range.  So, how is the AF systemsupposed to work properly when the lens stops down that far? 

I've used the "big Siggy" on camera bodies that focus to f/5.6 and others that can focus at f/8.  The f/8 camera bodies seem to focus more accurately at maximum zoom than the f/5.6 bodies.  Granted, the focus systems are not the same, which probably explains most of the differences. 

But, how are the f/5.6 bodies supposed to auto focus when the lens itself stops down to f/6.3?  It seems to work, but why?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/canon-eos-dslr-autofocus-explained.aspx

See "Lines, crosses and double crosses" section. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Arbitrary might be a bit strong. I would hope it would have to do with loop gains and stability and margins to future compatibility.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements