cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF/MF button fell off, any advice

Jawkurt
Apprentice

I have a f/2.8 17-35 that the auto focus switch fell off of.  The autofocus is still working but I can't seem to switch it to manual if I'd like to and I do need to for work sometimes . Photos below

http://imgur.com/a/660D8

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Jawkurt wrote:

I have a f/2.8 17-35 that the auto focus switch fell off of.  The autofocus is still working but I can't seem to switch it to manual if I'd like to and I do need to for work sometimes . Photos below

http://imgur.com/a/660D8

Do NOT try to Super Glue it back on! Super Glue can off gas and fog the lens elements.

But, if you don't want to send it in for service you might try hot gluing it back on where you see the glue remains on the short edges of the switch plate.. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have this lens, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens ?  Is it still under warranty?  Whether or not send it to Canon for service.  Asking questions on how to fix it, indicates it is best left to Canon.  Whether it is your dime or there's is the question.  They just might fix if for free anyway!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You have this lens, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens ?  Is it still under warranty?  Whether or not send it to Canon for service.  Asking questions on how to fix it, indicates it is best left to Canon.  Whether it is your dime or there's is the question.  They just might fix if for free anyway!  Smiley Happy

EF-S has a white dot. Not a red one. 17-35/2,8 was made between 1995-2001.

Great eye, Peter!

The EF 17-35 F/2.8 L USM came out on April 1, 1996, and we unfortunately stopped servicing it at the end of 2008. 

@Stephen wrote:

Great eye, Peter!

The EF 17-35 F/2.8 L USM came out on April 1, 1996, and we unfortunately stopped servicing it at the end of 2008

So, DIY with glue is the solution? Seems like it was glued from the start.

@Peter wrote:

@Stephen wrote:

Great eye, Peter!

The EF 17-35 F/2.8 L USM came out on April 1, 1996, and we unfortunately stopped servicing it at the end of 2008

So, DIY with glue is the solution? Seems like it was glued from the start.

Evidently they learned their lesson. The corresponding switch on the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 appears to be held down by a screw.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey yeah, Its an old lens and I knew Canon doesn't service it anymore.  You don't get any points for it when signing up for pro services... it kinda doesn't count anymore... but I think its a much cheaper alternative to the 16-35 and I'm happy with it.  I know I could glue the button on... but I'm concerned about how to get it attached again in a way where the switch will work.  I've tried pushing that tab around a bit on the inside but can't seem to get it to click to autofocus being off.  

EF 17-35 F/2.8 L USM ?

I don't believe I am familiar with that lens at all.  Or at least I don't remember it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements