Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-15-2017

70-200 f4 L IS

5d Mark iv
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-15-2017

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

Yesterday I bought a new 70-200 f4 l IS and it was ok till today.i shooting 260 shoot with my 5d mark iv and it was awsome and all functions be all right.suddenly after a 2 hours rest i back to my camera and my new lense found an strange issue.
I can not change my aperture lower than 8 and all my focus point on my viewfinder turn to just a 9 point fo foucosing and autofocus function it,s really different and very slower.i change my lens to my 50mm and camera doing well,and i test new 70-200 on my 70d camera.on 70d like 5d aperture didn’t come lower than 8.what can i do?
Really odd issue,make me give it to for repair after 260 photo.help me with that Canon.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,427
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS


Peyman_a71 wrote:
Yesterday I bought a new 70-200 f4 l IS and it was ok till today.i shooting 260 shoot with my 5d mark iv and it was awsome and all functions be all right.suddenly after a 2 hours rest i back to my camera and my new lense found an strange issue.
I can not change my aperture lower than 8 and all my focus point on my viewfinder turn to just a 9 point fo foucosing and autofocus function it,s really different and very slower.i change my lens to my 50mm and camera doing well,and i test new 70-200 on my 70d camera.on 70d like 5d aperture didn’t come lower than 8.what can i do?
Really odd issue,make me give it to for repair after 260 photo.help me with that Canon.

Are you using a 2x Extender?  The behavior that you describe is what happens when an extender is used with ANY camera.  In fact, if the camera body does not have any AF points that work at f/8, you completely lose all AF points.

Using an extender can reduce the number of AF points, but I would not expect quite that far of a reduction with a 5D4.  But, it can happen if you do not have all AF points enabled, and tracking enabled, without an extender.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-15-2017

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

I have this problem just with this lens,and it’s funny that in my camera menu it’s recognizing lens as a 70-200 f4 L IS USM 2x and exactly behave like i add an 2x extender.I’m really done with testing different things as reset my camera or test this lens on another cameras,and so sad.this is a 1 day purchase item with no guarantee(stupidly act of me).i have a 70-200 2.8 L non IS four 5 years and many other lenses,never has a problem with them for 12 years of using Canon lenses and i thought never need a another extra paying to guarantee for lens that never need that.it wont last 1 full day.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,427
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS


Peyman_a71 wrote:
I have this problem just with this lens,and it’s funny that in my camera menu it’s recognizing lens as a 70-200 f4 L IS USM 2x and exactly behave like i add an 2x extender.I’m really done with testing different things as reset my camera or test this lens on another cameras,and so sad.this is a 1 day purchase item with no guarantee(stupidly act of me).i have a 70-200 2.8 L non IS four 5 years and many other lenses,never has a problem with them for 12 years of using Canon lenses and i thought never need a another extra paying to guarantee for lens that never need that.it wont last 1 full day.

That’s odd.  You initially said that you had bought a “new” lens, but now you say that you only had a one day guarantee.  ???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-15-2017

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

Not a one day guarantee.i said I thought that this lens never need guarantee and I bought no guarantee version and this opinion that this lens didn’t need a guarantee,just last one day for me. Smiley Happy) .I live in a country that have not a canon service center and official branch.(sorry about my weak english language)
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,723
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

[ Edited ]

Peyman_a71 wrote:
Not a one day guarantee.i said I thought that this lens never need guarantee and I bought no guarantee version and this opinion that this lens didn’t need a guarantee,just last one day for me. Smiley Happy) .I live in a country that have not a canon service center and official branch.(sorry about my weak english language)

You just got this lens, so you're not really familiar with it. And the camera thinks it has a 2X extender attached, which would be an exceptionally weird error. Are you absolutely certain that the lens doesn't have an extender attached? The extender would look just like part of the lens, except that it would have a release button or sliding switch to unlock it from the lens. Conceivably you got yourself a free extender in this deal.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-15-2017

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

I know what is a extender,and I absolutely be sure that i have not.this lens just worked normal until last night.
VIP
Posts: 8,116
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

The lens is faulty.  That's a bummer.  Get it fixed and suck it up.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
New Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-17-2017

Re: 70-200 f4 L IS

Canon 70-200mm IS 4.0 or 2.8 II?

 

My hubby surprised me with a new lens of my choice 

This lens will shoot indoor high school wrestling.

I also shoot stock too, but only a handful of hours per year.

I thought for sure I would want the Canon 70-200mm IS 2.8 II and considered the Canon 70-200mm IS 2.8 I but Canon is no longer serviceing them.

But I am having doubts that maybe the Canon 70-200mm IS 4.0 would be just as good and it's half the weight! (Not to mention cheaper) 

I shoot with a Canon EOS 5D MkIII, no flash, and it seems I can just ramp up the ISO with the 4.0 to equal the light of a 2.8. Am I correct for thinking this?
I know the DOF is nicer with the 2.8 but think I would carry the lens more if it was lighter in weight. 

I have been researching my shots from years past and looked at the specs of the 8 indoor environments I shot last season.

The majority of the shots were as follows:
6400 - 4.0 - 1/500 - 70mm
5000 - 2.8 - 1/800 - 70mm
5000 - 2.8 - 1/640 - 70mm
10,000 - 2.8 - 1/400 - 70mm
10,000 - 2.8 - 1/640 - 70mm
8,000 - 4.5 - 1/640 - 70mm
2,500 - 2.8 - 1/400 - 70mm
10,000 - 2.8 - 1/800 - 70mm

Do you see any wiggle room to make a 70-200mm 4.0 work? 
10,000 ISO at 2.8 is pretty high don't you think?
I do have access to the local gym on Tuesday evenings I can practice with the only lens I have, a Canon 24-70mm.

Also, the majority of the shots were at 70mm, then...
If I shoot at 200mm, is the light constricted even more; the higher the mm, the more you have to add/accommodate your lens with light?

Please help me make my decision before the season comes in a few weeks.

Thank you for your help 

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement