cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 f/2.8L II + 5DSR AF consistency problem

docusync
Enthusiast

Folks, need an advice...

My 70-200 isn't focusing consistently @ 200mm (I mostly shoot at this focal length, don't care much about the wide end). Tried several times to AFMA with FoCal - the software returns "poor fit" because the results are so inconsistent. No problems shooting and calibrating a bunch of my other lenses. What should I do?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

docusync,

"The same lens works very consistently (99%+ fit) on my 1dx2"... "Should I send both the camera and the lens to Canon?"

I would not !  It may jack the lens up for use on the 1Dx Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I purchased the same lens early this year, and experienced a handful of nuisance issues, which caused me to return the lens for a new one. One of those issues was consistent focus, and AFMA not having enough range to correct it.

The first lens was a loose fit.  You could actually hear a clicking noise.  After receiving a new lens, I realized the issue with the first had been a missing rubber ring on the mount for weather sealing.

My second lens didn't seem to focus accurately, or consistently, with the AFMA tests.  I have since learned that my initial tests may have been somewhat flawed.  I was performing the tests indoor, in a sufficienty large room, because it was winter outside.  I typically ran the tests several times on a given lens, and took the average as the final setting.

After retesting outdoors once the weather warmed up, I was able to get very consistent results.  Not only that, but my results were well within the adjustment range of the AFMA, where previously I had been pushing the edge of the adjustment range.  I was using the Dot-Tune Method.

Doing a little more research into the entire AFMA procedures, I learned that ambient light can play a significant role in achieving consistent focus during the tests.  Most types of indoor artificial lighting [mine were your typical commercial office flourescent] can cause the camera/lens to focus inconsistently.

My EOS 6D did not have a light flicker adjustment on it.  But, if you perform your tests indoors with the types of lights that flicker at line voltage frequencies, then I suggest that you re-test your lenses with the flicker adjustment active.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I have the same camera and lens, not experiencing what you are, lens is a tight fit always auto focuses at 200mm perfectly, for that matter at any length, I will be interested to hear what they say in case mine starts to have issues.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements