cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6dm2 lens compatibility

Maggieleigh44
Apprentice

Hello,

I just purchased the 6DM2 and want to know if the Sigma DG 150-500 (2008) 1:5-6:3 APO HSM is compatibile.  I previously used it on my crop body, but don't want to try it on my full frame without knowing if it's compatible.  I found a couple of websites that say it is compatible.  Just confirming to be on the safe side.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Compatible as in will it fit?  Yes.  But will it work...  You aren't going to hurt your camera trying it.  Sigma compatibility with newer bodies has been fairly high, in comparison to Tamron for example.  Give it a go and let us know.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The lens will mount and should probably work without issues...   you wont be at risk of damaging anything.

Not specific to this lens, but just as a generalization... Canon doesn't publish any specfiications for the camera interface to the lens.  3rd party lens makers have to "reverse engineer" how things work to build their own lenses.  They then test those lenses with the current crop of camera bodies to make sure things are compatible.

Trouble happens when Canon introduces new camera models (like your 6D II) that didn't exist when that lens was designed.  Sometimes (I'm not saying this will apply to YOUR lens) the camera will do things that a genuine Canon lens will understand... but a 3rd party lens will not (becuase they've never encountered it before).  This results in the lens not working as intended.

When that happens, you can generally send the lens in to the 3rd party manufacturer to have it updated (they sometimes call this "re-chipping" the lens.  Sigma's newer lenses can use an optional firmware updating "dock" that lets you update the lens' internal firmware so that it'll work correctly with new cameras ... without requiring that you send the lens in for the update service.

Your lens may "just work" without any fuss.  But if you run into any issues with lens performance... contact Sigma and see if your lens needs an update.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbellwrote:

The lens will mount and should probably work without issues...   you wont be at risk of damaging anything.

Not specific to this lens, but just as a generalization... Canon doesn't publish any specfiications for the camera interface to the lens.  3rd party lens makers have to "reverse engineer" how things work to build their own lenses.  They then test those lenses with the current crop of camera bodies to make sure things are compatible.

Trouble happens when Canon introduces new camera models (like your 6D II) that didn't exist when that lens was designed.  Sometimes (I'm not saying this will apply to YOUR lens) the camera will do things that a genuine Canon lens will understand... but a 3rd party lens will not (becuase they've never encountered it before).  This results in the lens not working as intended.

When that happens, you can generally send the lens in to the 3rd party manufacturer to have it updated (they sometimes call this "re-chipping" the lens.  Sigma's newer lenses can use an optional firmware updating "dock" that lets you update the lens' internal firmware so that it'll work correctly with new cameras ... without requiring that you send the lens in for the update service.

Your lens may "just work" without any fuss.  But if you run into any issues with lens performance... contact Sigma and see if your lens needs an update.

That raises a question I've wondered about from time to time: Does Canon ever do firmware updates on their lenses? If, say, the 6D2 has a new feature that 3rd-party lenses can't grok, mightn't their own lenses have the same problem? But I don't believe I've ever heard of a firmware update for a Canon lens. I wouldn't even know where to look or how to install it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@TCampbell

That raises a question I've wondered about from time to time: Does Canon ever do firmware updates on their lenses? If, say, the 6D2 has a new feature that 3rd-party lenses can't grok, mightn't their own lenses have the same problem? But I don't believe I've ever heard of a firmware update for a Canon lens. I wouldn't even know where to look or how to install it.

A few years ago Canon added to option to update the lens firmware to all new Canon lenses being produced. The update is done exactly the same way the camera firmware update is done.

The the EF 40mm STM and EF-S 55-250 STM are two lenses I know of that have had firmware updates issued.

Edit: The EF24-105 IS II also has a firmware update.

Here is what the 55-250 STM update process looks like:

Firmware Version 1.0.3 incorporates the following enhancement.

Improves the autofocus speed when the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is attached to the EOS M3.

5D3_9145.JPG

5D3_9146.JPG

5D3_9147.JPG

5D3_9148.JPG

5D3_9149.JPG

5D3_9150.JPG

5D3_9151.JPG

Mike Sowsun

Thanks, Mike. I'll have to look into that. I don't have any of the lenses you named, but I guess there's bounc to be an update to one I do have sooner or later. Do you know which cameras are capable of doing a lens update?

Bob

@RobertTheFatwrote:

Thanks, Mike. I'll have to look into that. I don't have any of the lenses you named, but I guess there's bounc to be an update to one I do have sooner or later. Do you know which cameras are capable of doing a lens update?

The 1D X, 5D Mark III, and 650D/T4i were the first cameras to have this, but basically all cameras made since 2012 have this lens firmware option.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsunwrote:

@RobertTheFatwrote:

The 1D X, 5D Mark III, and 650D/T4i were the first cameras to have this, but basically all cameras made since 2012 have this lens firmware option.

@MikeSowsunwrote:

@RobertTheFatwrote:

Interesting! I have a 5D Mark III. I'll have to go read the manual more carefully.

So I guess it applies to my wife's 7D Mark II as well, (I wouldn't be able to update an EF-S lens with my 5D3.)

Bob

"I wouldn't be able to update an EF-S lens..."

How often would you be able to update any lens?  How often have you heard of Canon releasing new firmware for lenses?

I am not sure whether all Canon lenses can even accept firmware updates.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

"I wouldn't be able to update an EF-S lens..."

How often would you be able to update any lens?  How often have you heard of Canon releasing new firmware for lenses?

I am not sure whether all Canon lenses can even accept firmware updates.

Up until a week ago I'd never heard of it. Then Mike Sowsun explained that some recent Canon cameras have the ability to perform firmware updates on Canon lenses. Which raises, I guess you'd have to admit, the possibility that Canon might actually release updated firmware.

The question isn't silly. If Canon makes changes to its cameras that confuse 3rd-party lenses (which seems to happen with some regularity), isn't it likely that sooner or later such a change will also confuse older Canon lenses?

Bob
Announcements