cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm f1.4

Nicole85
Apprentice
I'm just switching to full frame. Unfortunately the 1.2 isn't in my budget right now. Is the 50mm f1.4 worth the investment if I have the 1.8? Eventually I'll save up to upgrade to the 1.2.
25 REPLIES 25

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.slrlounge.com/canon-50mm-prime/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The Digital Picture says basically the same thing. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Nicole85 wrote:
I'm just switching to full frame. Unfortunately the 1.2 isn't in my budget right now. Is the 50mm f1.4 worth the investment if I have the 1.8? Eventually I'll save up to upgrade to the 1.2.

That can depend on if you have the EF 50mm f/1.8 II or the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.

If you have the EF 50mm f/1.8 II, upgrading to the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM would be worthwhile. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Aren't the optics in both f/1.8 versions the same?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
Aren't the optics in both f/1.8 versions the same?

Yes, the optics are the same but the contruction is completely different.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has a metal mount.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II has a AF system with a lot of 'slop' resulting in inaccurate AF. The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM's AF is much more precise.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II has 5 straight aperture blades, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has 7 curved aperture blades resulting in a better bokeh when stopped down. 

From the Digital Picture review of the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM comparing it to the EF 50mm f/1.8 II

• Metal lens mount vs. plastic
  • 7 rounded aperture blades vs. 5 non-rounded (no more pentagonal bokeh)
  • Improved overall build quality (my original 50mm f/1.8 II broke in half for an unknown reason)
  • Super Spectra Coating
  • A much improved manual focus ring
  • STM vs. Micro Motor (smoother and quieter)
  • FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing (as long as shutter release is half-pressed)
  • 13.8" (350mm) MFD (Minimum Focus Distance) vs. 17.7" (450mm)
  • 0.21x MM (Maximum Magnification) vs. 0.15x
  • 49mm vs. 52mm filter size (though not much of an advantage from my perspective)
  • Narrower f/22 aperture available vs. f/16
  • Accepts normal bayonet-mount lens hood vs. threaded adapter

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nicole85 wrote:

I guess it might depend upon which full frame camera you're talking about upgrading to, and how often you'll need an f/1.4 aperture.  If you need to use a super wide aperture, then I'd go for the "L" lens.  But, if you need to use f/1.2, then it is likely that you would not be asking this question.  You would KNOW that you need it, without any doubt.

I use a 50mm f/1.8 STM on a 6D.  It's a great lens. 

IMG_3481.gif

If you're like me, most of my 50mm shots are shot outdoors in the daytime at f/8.  The image quality is great.  I'm no pro, just a avid enthusiast getting some exercise by walking around using a camera. 

I say, either go for the f/1.2L or stick with the f/1.8 STM.  Don't buy halfway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Nicole,

Personally I would never buy any Canon 50mm f1.8 lens. Nada!  I will admit the newest STM is a decent lens if all you consider is IQ for a 50mil.

I did own and use the f1.4 version for a long time and it is an OK lens. It is built better that the f1.8's but not any better IQ in real world shooting.

But the EF 50mm 1.2L is in a clas all by itself. IMHO, it is the only 50mil there is.  And, I don't care whose lens you compare it to.  If you need f1.2, you need f1.2. There is nothing like it.

Bottom line if you don't buy the f1.2L, it doesn't matter which 50 mil you get or have.  They are all the same, actually a limited use focal length.  Save your money for the f1.2L.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The price factor is huge here.  $100.00 vs. $300.00 for the f/1.8 vs. the f/1.4 is not that big.  The jump to $1,400.00 for the "L" is very big.  

I really dont think "buy the "L" lens or buy nothing at all" is a viable answer to 90% of Canon DSLR owners.

I would say not to go for the 1.4.  

You already have the older 1.8.  Even so, since it is only a hundred bucks, and since there have been all the upgrades listed above, I think you could justify buying the new STM lens.  If you can sell your old one for $40 or $50 on Craigslist then it really is a pretty painless upgrade.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements