cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm f1.4

Nicole85
Apprentice
I'm just switching to full frame. Unfortunately the 1.2 isn't in my budget right now. Is the 50mm f1.4 worth the investment if I have the 1.8? Eventually I'll save up to upgrade to the 1.2.
25 REPLIES 25

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scotty,

"I really dont think "buy the "L" lens or buy nothing at all" is a viable answer to 90% of Canon DSLR owners..."

It depends on whether you want good or do you want the best?  The very expensive price point, I admit, is getting you much more than just a f1.2 vs a f1.8 or f1.4.  You can't choose or select a lens on a single spec. At least a reasonably intelligent person shouldn't.  You must consider the entire package.

Of course, I wouldn't think the f1.2L is a good fit to a SL-1 for instance. But I would never buy an SL-1.  That is a point to consider, too.

I would venture a guess, I am the only regular contributor here that owns the f1.2L and uses it?  How can non-owners/users say one way or the other?  They can't.

I would think it is obvious that not everyone can afford to invest $5,000 to $10,000 on photo gear.  Those people should not be told to go find another hobby if they can't afford to go first class. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

diverhank
Authority

@Nicole85 wrote:
I'm just switching to full frame. Unfortunately the 1.2 isn't in my budget right now. Is the 50mm f1.4 worth the investment if I have the 1.8? Eventually I'll save up to upgrade to the 1.2.

I have the 50mm f/1.8II but I have tried the 50mm f/1.4 for comparison.  I can tell a marked improvement using the 1.4...but certainly only subtle.  We all tend to pay a lot more for just that little improvement sometimes.

I don't use the 50mm focal length too much so I don't plan to get anything else...the f/1.8 was too cheap I couldn't resist.  If you use the FL a lot, I'd get a used 1.4 for about $200 - the friend that loaned me his 50/1.4 paid that for his.  One known problem with the 50mm f/1.4 is that the focus ring can go out of alignment really easy with the slightest bump, rendering you unable to focus and the cost of repair is almost as high as the lens cost.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"I don't use the 50mm focal length too much..."

I agree. It isn't a friendly focal length.  It is a more specialized one.  It is a portrait lens on my 1D Mk IV.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I don't use the 50mm focal length too much so I don't plan to get anything else...the f/1.8 was too cheap I couldn't resist. "

I like to use the 50mm to shoot panoramas at f/8..  I rotate the camera to a portrait orientation, and off I go.   The FL is perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Good for you!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If a person doesn't own a 50mm lens and they want a 50mm prime (usually the only reason you'd want one is for the lower focal ratio since most working zooms already cover the focal length -- just not at a low focal ratio) then it probably makes sense to sort through the decisions.

In my opinion the 50mm f/1.8 II was really _only_ for those who had very little budget and wanted something.  It's advantage was it's price tag... that was pretty much it.  

The "reasonable" lens was always the f/1.4 with more aperture blades and a better bokeh quality (just not nearly as good as the f/1.2).  The f/1.4 was better than the f/1.8 II in literally every way *except* the optics of in-focus details were extremely similar (the f/1.8 always did have good optics of the "in focus" areas and it was mostly the out of focus areas were it had a very poor bokeh quality.

BUT THEN... Canon updated the 50mm f/1.8 to an "STM" version, improved the build quality, improved the aperture blades, which in-turn improved the bokeh quality and yet the STM lens is STILL extremely affordable.  

The f/1.4 picks up 2/3rds of a stop of light... so there is that.  The f/1.2 picks up yet another half stop of light (or about 1.3 stops faster than the f/1.8).

But given the OP already owns a 50mm... it all makes me take a step back and wonder why a decision is even worth of consideration at all.  

Do you use your 50mm a LOT?

Is there something about your current 50mm that's just not meeting your needs?  Do you look at your current images and think... boy I sure could use something that gathers more light to let you cut back on my ISO setting and reduce noise?    Or maybe you're thinking that f/1.8 depth of field is far too broad and you want something much much shallower??

I own 7 different L series lenses but I confess that I do not own a 50mm at all... nor do I own an 85mm at all.  I take most "portrait" shots with my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and I love it.  I also own the 135mm f/2L USM and while I love that lens too... the 70-200mm is just so goshed darn gorgeous in image quality while also being so goshed darn VERSATILE that I found only a few situations where there's a compelling enough reasson to pull the 70-200 off the camera body to attach the 135mm f/2 (and hostly the 135mm f/2 gets used more for low-light concert photography than it does for traditional "portrait" photography.)

So if this is really a matter of "I have $1500 that I could potentially spend and I'm wondering if the 50mm f/1.2L is worth it" then I'd spin the question around and ask... WHAT ELSE might you get $1500 worth of value out of?  

What sorts of things do you shoot with your 50mm and where are your pain points where your current lens is leaving you wanting more?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements