cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm F/1.4 Lens

mosmaidi
Apprentice

Hello --

I'm a beginner here and just ordered the 50mm F/1.4 Lens.  Taking it out of the box for the first time, I noticed while holding it in my hand that it feels like it's loose when I slightly shake it.  Don't know if that's normal orsomething is wrong.  Given that I spent $350 on this lens, I want to be sure it's okay.  Does anybody know the loose kind of feeling is normal and is supposed to slightly shake?  Thanks in advance.

Regards.

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not being able to handle it myself, I would not be concerned about it. But I don't advise shaking it! It is a precession piece of equipment you know.

Bottom line does it work and perform correctly?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Personally, I'd go to a camera store and feel another one to compare.  My 50/1.4 feels solid (for a light plastic lens), not flimsy like the 1.8, but not a tank like an L lens.   That said, there are plenty of complaints on the internet about the build of the Canon 1.4, so it may have some manufacturing issues.  Or maybe people on the internet just like to complain.

Long and short of it:  mine feels fine, so either you’re very sensitive to build qualities or perhaps you got a poorly manufactured one.  I think it’s worth checking a few out and see if yours is an outlier.

Announcements