Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

Re: 50mm 1.8 focus problem

Robert,

"AFMA apparently did fix the OP's problem."  

Yes, I know that is why I stated, "Whether it is the OP's problem or not, I still think it not likely an AFMA issue."

The reply was in response to your thought that 10 feet is a doable correction for AFMA.  I think it is out of the reach of AFMA to the point of being certain that it is.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Esteemed Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert,

"AFMA apparently did fix the OP's problem."  

Yes, I know that is why I stated, "Whether it is the OP's problem or not, I still think it not likely an AFMA issue."

The reply was in response to your thought that 10 feet is a doable correction for AFMA.  I think it is out of the reach of AFMA to the point of being certain that it is.

Suit yourself, Ernie. But as they say in the legal profession, "Rēs ipsae loquitur."

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor

I am not an attorney so I have no idea what that means or even how to pronounce it.  I am a photographer and still think 10 feet is not possible. But you certainly have my permission to try.

Honored Contributor

Take a look at what the DOF table says about a 50mm with a 5D at a distance of 20 feet.

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor

Generally you are much further than 20 ft away from a chimney!

Honored Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

Generally you are much further than 20 ft away from a chimney!

Exactly, and look at what happens to the DOF.  It can get pretty deep, fairly quickly.  Af f/8, the hyperfocal distance is 54 feet.  Making AFMA adjustments when DOF is that wide can move it several feet.  So, perhaps 10 feet isn't as far fetched, after all.

Without knowing the distance to the chimney, aperture setting, or sample photos, most of the discussion is conjecture.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

"So, perhaps 10 feet isn't as far fetched, after all."

Yes it is.  Please be my guest and give it a go.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much robert for your advice on where to go, im going tomorrow kind of last minute and you helped fill in some time. Ill be sure to check those places out. Thanks so much again.
Occasional Contributor

Yes kvbarkley, I was about 100-150 ft away
Occasional Contributor

Ok, everyone. After doing more research it is for sure doable to correct a 10 foot issue about 150 feet away. Its all about proportion. Usually AFMA's are done about 10 feet away with a max adjustment scale of a few inches but the further you get the more room for adjustment.