cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm 1.8 focus problem

JacoMedia0113
Contributor

Whenever I focus automatically with the viewfinder, it doesnt actually focus where it says it will. For example, I tested this out with a roof and focused on the chimney and saw the red flashes indicating where the camera is focusing. It also looked perfectly in focus in the veiwfinder. When I took the shot and saw where the focus point was, it was about 10 feet closer to me than the chimney. Then I went to the lcd screen and focused the same way on the chimney and it focused perfectly. I tried this on other lenses and its only the canon 50 1.8. Its really not that expensive so I might get a new one or if you recommend a better 50mm lens. I use a canon 6d btw if that helps. Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32

" At f/4 and above, you're at the hyperfocal distance, and everything at that distance should be in focus."

Bingo!  Smiley Happy  Thank you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

JacoMedia0113
Contributor
Ok, everyone. After doing more research it is for sure doable to correct a 10 foot issue about 150 feet away. Its all about proportion. Usually AFMA's are done about 10 feet away with a max adjustment scale of a few inches but the further you get the more room for adjustment.

JacoMedia0113
Contributor
Im actually starting to laugh at how serious this post got.
Announcements