cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24_70mm lens

Bhakti
Apprentice
Hello, absolutely new to full frame camera. Dont reakky understand where to use my newly bought 24-70 mm lense. Some help please. Now going on a hiking trip, will it be useful if I take jt there?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bhakti wrote:
Hello, absolutely new to full frame camera. Dont reakky understand where to use my newly bought 24-70 mm lense. Some help please. Now going on a hiking trip, will it be useful if I take jt there?

A 24-70mm lens is a good "standard" zoom.  It's zoom range is good for wide angle landscapes, to "normal" shots, to near "portrait" focal lengths.  Just be sure to protect the lens and your camera while hiking.  Use a lens hood, and perhaps even a protective filter to help keep the front lens element clean.

I like to do moderate amounts of hiking, too.  Carrying a "naked" camera can be hazardous to the welfare of your camera and lens, as they can easily bump and bang into things like branches, brush, or even trees and rocks.  When I am hiking, I carry my camera, with an attached lens, in a camera holster, which mounts with a sling strap across my shoulder,

1263489837000_IMG_144206.jpg

I have found the Lowepro Toploader Series of holsters to be very good.  The different models differ in how deep the lens cavity is, and how wide the camera body cavity is.  I use the Model 75 II, which has a body cavity that can accomodate pro-size camera body, or a full size DSLR with a battery grip.  It has external pockets.  I carry stuff like a compass and cell phone, and paper and pencil.  Pencils don't leak ink.

It is also deep enough to allow a 70-200mm lens, with a lens hood and tripod foot, to remain mounted to the camera.  There is also a couple of velcro dividers inside of it to customize the fit.  It comes with a rain cover, which serves double duty as dirt and dust protection.  It also has an auxillary waist strap so that it is not bouncing around all over the place.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It's a good allaround lens.

Depending on where you are hiking you should probably invest in a book that discusses photography for the area.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Bhakti wrote:
Hello, absolutely new to full frame camera. Dont really understand where to use my newly bought 24-70 mm lense. Some help please. Now going on a hiking trip, will it be useful if I take jt there?

It's a landscape and event lens. If you're using two FF cameras, it and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II are a particularly good combination. As a general-purpose walkaround lens (for hiking, street photography, etc.) the 24-105 f/4L may be a better bet because of its longer reach and lighter weight. (You have to be a pretty intrepid hiker to carry along a 70-200.)

The overall answer to your question is, of course, yes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bhakti wrote:

A 24-70mm lens is a good "standard" zoom.  It's zoom range is good for wide angle landscapes, to "normal" shots, to near "portrait" focal lengths.  Just be sure to protect the lens and your camera while hiking.  Use a lens hood, and perhaps even a protective filter to help keep the front lens element clean.

I like to do moderate amounts of hiking, too.  Carrying a "naked" camera can be hazardous to the welfare of your camera and lens, as they can easily bump and bang into things like branches, brush, or even trees and rocks.  When I am hiking, I carry my camera, with an attached lens, in a camera holster, which mounts with a sling strap across my shoulder,

1263489837000_IMG_144206.jpg

I have found the Lowepro Toploader Series of holsters to be very good.  The different models differ in how deep the lens cavity is, and how wide the camera body cavity is.  I use the Model 75 II, which has a body cavity that can accomodate pro-size camera body, or a full size DSLR with a battery grip.  It has external pockets.  I carry stuff like a compass and cell phone, and paper and pencil.  Pencils don't leak ink.

It is also deep enough to allow a 70-200mm lens, with a lens hood and tripod foot, to remain mounted to the camera.  There is also a couple of velcro dividers inside of it to customize the fit.  It comes with a rain cover, which serves double duty as dirt and dust protection.  It also has an auxillary waist strap so that it is not bouncing around all over the place.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I use my 24-70mm f2.8L II about 75% of the time.  If that tells you anything.  Plus I used my 24-70mm f2.8L 1 and my 28-70mm f2.8L about the same!  It is a great lens to have.

Just for kicks I have two other version besides the ones I mentioned. Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bhakti
Apprentice
Hey Thanks a lot!!!

Bhakti
Apprentice
Using pencil insyead of a pen is surely a god tip to follow..Thank you!!
Announcements