cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Opinions

Now that a couple of years have passed, is there a consensus about the 24-70mm f/2.8 II lens? When it first came out, some people (including at least one in this forum) pronounced it as good as the 70-200 IS II. But the bottom end of the reviews on the B&H site includes a fair number of disgruntled users who claim it's not nearly worth the money. When I retired, I got some $$ from my colleagues earmarked for camera equipment, and that arguably makes the lens affordable. But I already have the 24-105 and can live without the 24-70 if it's less than seriously great.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bob the man for Boston,

My favorite lens of all time is the ef 70-200mm f2.8L II.   I mean it was until I got the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II.  I can say, from a guy that has owned or used probably 200+ lenses over the years, this is the best lens made.  I had the ef 24-105mm f4 and it is not even in the same zip code.  I also had the ef 24-70mm f2.8L version 1.  Not even close either the new one blows it out of the water.

I have the Nikkor version and it is good but not quite up to the Canon.  Sorry Nikon buds.  I also have the Sigma offering and the Tamron offering.  IMHO, the, or at least my copy of the Tamron is in second place. Sorry Nikon buds.

The second part of your question, is it worth it?  That is up to you to determine.  Do you want the best lens made?  I would buy it all over again in a heartbeat but that's me.  This lens lives on my camera.

Also, IMHO, way to much weight is put upon IS. That  is not a deal breaker or deal maker to me and it shouldn't be to any of you. Learn how to use your gear for Pete's sake.  I don't subscribe to the thought that turning off IS makes the lens sharper.  That is nonsense!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is there a convenient spot where you can rent one?  Do you know someone who has one, and can go on a shoot together?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The company that starts with Lens and ends with entals will rent one reasonably and let you buy the copy you have if you want to keep it.

ScottyP
Authority

Seems like it couldn't have been too hard to put IS in that lens.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

"Even bigger, even heavier, even more expensive" is the best explanation I've been able to come up with.

That said, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference to me. I'm glad my 70-200 has IS; but even at my advanced age, I can generally handle a mid-range lens. And the probability that I can still do so in five years is only slightly lower than the probability that I'll still be around at all.

Bob

@ScottyP wrote:

I think the lack of IS may contribute somewhat to its' reputed sharpness.  It focuses and the lens elements stay put.  My Sigma long lenses are demonstrably sharper when I turn off their "Optical Stabilization", their name for Image Stabilization.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think kvbarkley may be on to something with the rental suggestion.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I think kvbarkley may be on to something with the rental suggestion.  

It's an interesting thought, but frankly I'm at least as likely to trust the judgement of someone on this forum who's used the lens for a year over whatever impression I'd get from using it for a week. Let's face it: I think I know you guys pretty well by now and can do a decent job of putting what you tell me in context. And truthfully, many of you have more experience in this game than I do.

Bob

I have used a 24-70mm f/2.8L II for a couple of years now.  It is my go-to lens...I use it about 90% of the time.  Prior to that, I have used the kit 24-105mm f/4L IS (ver. 1) lens.  While the 24-105mm was no slouch...there was no question the 24-70 was way better - sharper, better color and much less distortion at the wide end.  I didn't miss IS one iota - not at these focal lengths.

It's kinda funny my problem is usually the opposite of the norm...my pictures are usually too sharp for portraits, I actually have to blur them to make the ladies (wife and daughter) happy.  With this lens, I never touch the sharpening function.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"It is my go-to lens...I use it about 90% of the time."

Ditto!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements