cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-105mm f4/L IS USM or 24-70mm IS USM f4/L

CalebTurna
Contributor

Ok, so i am in a little bit of a pickle here. I am somewhat new to Photography and recently bought a 60D Second hand for a bargain. I am now looking at Lenses to buy for it. I am looking for a good all round lense that i can carry over to a FF Camera when i am ready. From the research that i have done the best options for are the 24-105mm f4/L and the 24-70mm f4/L. I was thinking of buying second hand, of course with the proper inspection. Is it worth buying second hand? It will be mainly for photos but i do plan on doing a decent amount of film. If necessary i would rather photo quality than video quality. I would like the capability of up to 105mm but from what i have heard is that is is slightly worse image quality wise to the 24-70mm. I have also heard that the IS of the 105mm is better? My budget is some what limited but i can save towards another lense if recommended. What would you guys recommend? 

Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

I have shot a little video with the 28-70 lens on my 1DX MII but I don't often use video.  With this setup there is a lot of noise from the focusing motor when using the built in camera microphone.

IS will help with video but if you want really smooth video you will need to use a tripod for critical video. It is far more practical for IS to stabilize an image for a brief shutter opening for photography than trying to take the shake out of video.  IS will reduce but not eliminate the shake.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements