cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55 zoom lens repair

Jhstarkey1
Contributor

Recently I was changing the lens. When I removed the auto focus 18-55 zoom lens a part fell out of the lens. It is metal and has copper contacts on it. I'm not sure where it belongs or why it fell out. Anyone had a similar problem?

25 REPLIES 25

Nobody is accusing that you are lying. Take it easy. We are here to help finding out the possible causes of why this has come into being.

The part shown in the pics you posted definitely belongs to a lens (may not be yours and not necessarily Canon lenses) . It is connected to flex cables and the PCB to transmit data relating to the operation of the lens - the focal distance and aperture values etc) It could only come out when one removed the lens mount and the PCB and the focus motor assembly. One still has to get into the barrel to remove some other parts including some flex cables and the helicoid assembly to get the part out.

If your lens is intact and nothing came loose, then the only explanation is that the part doesn't belong to your 18 55 kit lens and it may be a part of another lens. It may have dropped out of the camera/lens packing box etc etc.

I have reviewed the following youtube again and the shape of the two comb-like parts seem similar but not exactly identical. But there are differnt versions of the lens and I have not had the opportunity to open up all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUsgNOCaUw

It is not worth the time and money to repair it. Buy a STM version from a dealer and you will have warranty and peace of mind.

Good luck and happy shooting.

lly3988
Rising Star

If you don't mind to share, I am curious to know what is your original camera and the exact model of the 18 55 kit lens.

I wish to find from a source to identify the part.  Eventually I will buy one of this lens to look into it. (I mean a broken lens costing me $20 or less)

(It's okay if you don't want to share.)

Thanks.

The camera is a Canon Rebel xti. The lens is also a Canon 18-55, 3.5-5.6. I bought a kit at Costco and it came with 3 lenes.

Thank you very much.

I will look into the version of the 18 55 kit lens that came with the XTI.

If you have new discovery, please post to this thread.

Have fun shooting with whatever you have with you.

"I bought a kit at Costco and it came with 3 lenes."

Don't do that this time.  Choose your lens carefully.  The lens is where it's at.  Not the camera.  The 80D is a fine camera and deserves a great lens to make it perform best.  One great lens is better than 3 average lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tim
Authority

Jhstarkey1, 

We suggest sending your lens to the Canon Service Center for repair evaluation.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements