cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55 zoom lens repair

Jhstarkey1
Contributor

Recently I was changing the lens. When I removed the auto focus 18-55 zoom lens a part fell out of the lens. It is metal and has copper contacts on it. I'm not sure where it belongs or why it fell out. Anyone had a similar problem?

25 REPLIES 25

lly3988
Rising Star

You must have opened up the lens to attempt repairing it. I recognize the part which is deep inside the lens barrel and there is no way that it will fall off the lens when you removed it from the camera. One has to open the lens entirely to see the part. It is underneath the PCB inside  the barrel . It won't come out from the lens mount opening.

If you don't know how to put it back, there are a lot of tutorials on the YouTube.

capture-20171210-053934.png

lly3988 wrote:

You must have opened up the lens to attempt repairing it. I recognize the part which is deep inside the lens barrel and there is no way that it will fall off the lens when you removed it from the camera. One has to open the lens entirely to see the part. It is underneath the PCB inside  the barrel . It won't come out from the lens mount opening.

If you don't know how to put it back, there are a lot of tutorials on the YouTube.

Which brings up the obvious point that if we'd been told the truth in the first place, we wouldn't have wasted our time guessing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@lly3988 wrote:

Which brings up the obvious point that if we'd been told the truth in the first place, we wouldn't have wasted our time guessing.

I figured it out from the start.  I was just trying to be polite about it, by dropping some hints.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am not trying to waste anyone’s time. I’m sure you are all extremely busy and experts regarding this particular lens. However, I am not lying about what happened. I was sitting at my dining room table and removed the lens from the camera. When I separated the lens from the camera, the part fell on the table. I thought it came from the camera because I couldn’t see any thing inside the lens that appeared to be missing. I set it aside and was considering purchasing a new camera body, the canon 80D. As I was looking at the lenses to see if I wanted to add a new lens, I attached the 50mm lens to the camera and it worked fine. That’s when I took a closer look at the lens and realized that the part came from the lens. I reviewed YouTube videos to see where the part fits and how. I also decided to join this group. What an eye opener! Three of the esteemed members have accused me of lying. It seems that I am wasting my time trying to learn from the more experienced users. Thank you for enlightening me.

@Jhstarkey1 wrote:

I am not trying to waste anyone’s time. I’m sure you are all extremely busy and experts regarding this particular lens. However, I am not lying about what happened. I was sitting at my dining room table and removed the lens from the camera. When I separated the lens from the camera, the part fell on the table. I thought it came from the camera because I couldn’t see any thing inside the lens that appeared to be missing. I set it aside and was considering purchasing a new camera body, the canon 80D. As I was looking at the lenses to see if I wanted to add a new lens, I attached the 50mm lens to the camera and it worked fine. That’s when I took a closer look at the lens and realized that the part came from the lens. I reviewed YouTube videos to see where the part fits and how. I also decided to join this group. What an eye opener! Three of the esteemed members have accused me of lying. It seems that I am wasting my time trying to learn from the more experienced users. Thank you for enlightening me.

No one is calling you a liar.  Anything can happen, most especially when you least expect it.  However, in my decades of experience, screws generally are not able to unscrew themselves.  It takes help from an external force.  

Where did the lens come from?  As I observed earlier, more parts would have to come out before that thing comes out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mr. Honored Contibuter,

When someone writes “if we had been told the truth to begin with...”. Sounds like you are saying I lied. 

The lens came with the camera. I appreciate your observation, but nothing came out except the part in the photo. There are no  obvious ways to attach the piece. No holes. Thought maybe it was attached by an adhesive. I have tried to find an exploded drawing of the lens but haven’t had any luck. Anyway, it is probably not worth pursuing. I was just curious.

"When someone writes “if we had been told the truth to begin with...”. Sounds like you are saying I lied ..."

I think you have a point.  Having no idea what that part is except, "it looks important to me.", the best advice is to move on to a new, better, lens.  Assuming yours is not the STM version.  Even better idea is to go for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. 

It is totally fantastic lens and why not now when you have a perfect "excuse".  Smiley Happy

You might want to take it with a grain of salt some folks even though they have decades of experience. Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks. Definitely purchasing a new lens and probably the Canon 80D body.

"... probably the Canon 80D body."

Smiley Very Happy  You'll love it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements