cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1300D and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II

frensco
Contributor

Hi,

I am a newbie in DSLR, I am planning to purchase a len 70-200mm, which has the IS function, I would like to know, if it is using with 1300D, is the IS function still available?

thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My friend,

"Don't presume that means it is best for everyone."

Goes both ways doesn't it.  Smiley Happy   You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I respect that and I know not everyone agrees with mine.  Please show the same courtesy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

@frensco wrote:
thank you for your recommendation

"The beauty of a DSLR is it can have several lenses.  You need to consider ones that are more in line with your T6.  What you want [28-300mm] will be done better with two or more lenses than with one all purpose lens."

You mentioned the 28-300mm zoom.  Ernie mentions using two or more lenses.  You're looking to go from very wide angle to almost super telephoto, all in one package.  I do not doubt that an 28-300mm "L" lens is a pretty good lens.  But, I am sure that the engineers had to compromise a little more compared to lenses that do not cover as wide of a range.

I use four to cover a slightly wider range.  I have the following four lenses as part of my "main" kit.  The weakest of the bunch is probably the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which is still a really good lens.  I just think the others are exceptional.

I carry a 16-35mm , 24-105mm, 70-200mm, and a 100-400mm.  This gives me coverage on a full frame body of 16-400mm. 

I like the fact that this set of zoom lenses have ranges that overlap slightly.  I used to have an 18-55mm and an 55-250mm on a Rebel.  I would find myself getting "stuck between clubs", so to speak, around 55mm.  I hated that.

I did not buy all of those lenses at once.  I learned my lesson of buying two "almost as good" lenses, instead of one really good lens.  I gave the "almost as good" lenses to my sons.  They love them.  Man, if they only knew what they were missing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A good bag for you might be;

1-Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

2-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

3-Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens

4-Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

There will not be much you can't do with that bag.  I would also buy them in that order.  That gear is a bit over what you were willing to spend on just the ef 70-200mm f2.8L.  But it will be very much more flexible.  Quality will be inline with your T6.  The Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens being a keeper forever.  Upgrade the others if, or, when you might upgrade your body. 

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The IS function is in the lens basically so it will work with your T6.  However, a good rule of thumb is to keep your photo gear mostly even in quality.  The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is nearly two grand.  It is a top of the line, high end lens and it is wonderful.  I love it.  Plus, it is the lens that makes the photo.  So, go for it !

Ernie was right the first time.  I don't like his list because I had a similar one, and it frequently left me "stuck between golf clubs" at the crucial focal lengths near 50mm.  Two of Canon's most popular "L" lenses are the 24-70mm, and 24-105mm.

The list of four lenses that Ernie just recently posted also represents a significant investment in EF-S mount lenses because of his number 1 choice, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS STM lens.  It duplicates the range of the kit lens that was most likely included with your 1300D, even though it is a far superior lens.  And, the 17-55 is a costly lens.    

Decide now if you want to invest in EF-S lenses, or stick to just buying EF.  I chose the latter, buying only EF series lenses, because I think, on average, the EF lenses are more robust and better made than most EF-S lenses.  The EF series of lenses can be used on most any Canon EOS DSLR.  The EF-S lenses can only be used on the APS-C sensor bodies.

If you want to invest in professional grade lenses, by all means, go for it.  Just remember my cautions about the weight of the heavier, professional grade lenses.  Your camera's body shell is not reinforced with magnesium alloys like many of the more expensive DSLRs.  However, I don't think investing in one of Canon's best lenses is a good fit for Canon's least expensive DSLR camera body, most especially for someone new to photography.

But, I do think the EF-S 10-18mm lens could be a good investment, especially when you buy it in Canon's "Portrait Kit", which includes the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  Being able to use a wide aperture of the 50mm f/1.8 will teach you a LOT about photography.  

Since you're new, there's a lot to learn about using and caring for your gear.  Make the mistakes, and climb the learning curve with less expensive gear, is my best advice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi 

You have not said what you shoot so we may have gotten ahead of ourselves.   What do you shoot?  

That said, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS 2 is a fantastic lens. I would prefer it over an 18-300 any day because of the wide2.8 aperture and the excellent image quality.  

If I had an old or basic camera I would not buy inferior lenses to match the camera. I would buy good lenses first and then upgrade the camera later.

1.) New cameras come out every year but a good lens will last 10-15 years or more. 

2.). Lenses make more difference than cameras, usually.  A great lens will make a noticeable difference vs a basic lens in a lot more cases than an upgraded camera's images would be noticeably better images over a basic camera. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
1.) New cameras come out every year but a good lens will last 10-15 years or more. 

Yes, probably. But I believe we've established that Canon won't service it for 10-15 years. Which wouldn't have mattered as much back in the film days, when lenses were simpler and there wasn't a lot to go wrong. But today's lenses are much more complex, and one puts a lot more money at risk in buying one, especially if one will someday have to settle for 3rd-party service and questionable parts availability.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert,      "... have to settle for 3rd-party service ..."

I wouldn't put Midwest Camera Repair in such a "settle for" category.  They are very good.  Requires google for more info.  I have had to use them on some of my brand-N gear.

"...questionable parts availability ...", this might be a concern but again what is the alternative?  Buy cheap stuff and keep tossing it when it fails?  Might be penny wise and pound foolish.

Over the 'decades' I have had so little problems with my Canon camera gear, I really don't even consider repairing it. Add to that fact I am not my camera's best friend. I was in a situation where the shot is worth more than the gear.  Most of my 'repairs' have been few.  Most of my interaction with Canon service has been through CPS for a C&C.

EB

Dbenson
Contributor
I am brand new to forum, but this discussion brought me good insight about upgrade to L series 200mm lens. I am considering f2L ISUSM for indoor sports (BB gym). It's a huge commitment w/ respect to cost. I hope to upgrade camera body next year but hoping to get lens this year. Maybe. Thanks for the thread.

Smiley Surprised

Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Lens on a Rebel T6 would not be my first choice.  It shouldn't be yours either!  Besides the cost of nearly six grand it is not a good balance combo for a T6.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens being a big lens in itself does offer the zoom ability for the balance difference.  Not to mention almost $4000 less.

How much is one stop worth to you?

EB

Dbenson
Contributor
Thank you. This is the kind of insight that only experience can bring and I don't have. My kit came with a 70-300 mm 4-5.6. I've brought home a few decent shots over my first season with it, but have fought with the low poor lighting inherent in school gyms. Post processing raw files is something I'm becoming familiar with. A pro shooter i respect said I should consider acquiring a "low light lens. From what I can tell that means a L series lens. I am looking for options and price is huge concern and the price delta between the two you and I mentioned is significant. Your take is that I could well by the 70-200 and it is a better option. Are there others I need to be researching that can be used for my mission.? Thanks again

Dbenson
Contributor
.... the lens covers too wide of a range. The ratio the long end to the short end is more than 10:1. As rule, stick to zooms that have ratio of a maximum 3:1, or maybe even 4:1.

Sir (Mr. Waddizzel) - would you mind taking a few minutes to explain this concept please.
Announcements