cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1300D and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II

frensco
Contributor

Hi,

I am a newbie in DSLR, I am planning to purchase a len 70-200mm, which has the IS function, I would like to know, if it is using with 1300D, is the IS function still available?

thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My friend,

"Don't presume that means it is best for everyone."

Goes both ways doesn't it.  Smiley Happy   You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I respect that and I know not everyone agrees with mine.  Please show the same courtesy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The IS function is in the lens basically so it will work with your T6.  However, a good rule of thumb is to keep your photo gear mostly even in quality.  The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is nearly two grand.  It is a top of the line, high end lens and it is wonderful.  I love it.  Plus, it is the lens that makes the photo.  So, go for it !

EB

thx for your advice, some of my friends are not recommend to get this lense, because they mentioned, it will waste the lense with this beginner level of the camera. thx for your recommendation

at the same time, I am thinking of Canon EF 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L IS USM as well, what do you recommend, which one is better?

You can always upgrade you camera later on.  One good thing about buying a lens like the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is, it will stay with you no matter what camera you get.  There is no better lens made.

EB

"I am thinking of Canon EF 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L IS USM as well, what do you recommend, which one is better?"

Given the choice between the two the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens all the way.  If you feel you need and want a 300mil get the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.

EB

the reason why I was thinking 28-300mm, don't have the short distance lens, it can coverage from short distance to long distance.my concern of this lens, it coverage big range, will the quality decrease it as well

@frensco wrote:
the reason why I was thinking 28-300mm, don't have the short distance lens, it can coverage from short distance to long distance.my concern of this lens, it coverage big range, will the quality decrease it as well

I think the lens covers too wide of a range.  The ratio between the long end to the short end is more than 10:1.  As rule, stick to zooms that have ratio of a maximum 3:1, or maybe even 4:1. 

I'd recommend the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, if you wanted to stick with Canon "L" series.  But, with an APS-C camera body, 24mm is not exactly super wide angle, if that is what you're looking for.  In the "L" series, there are a couple of 16-35mm offerings, and a 17-40mm f/4 lens.

As far as the Ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens goes, be aware that it is a fairly heavy lens compared to the standard kit lenses that come with a 1300D.  When carrying the camera/lens combo, do not allow the full weight of the lens to hang from the lens mount.  

The 70-200 lens weighs more than the camera body.  Because of the moment of inertia associated with a long, heavy lens of that size, a lot of torque will be created on the lens mount.  I would recommend always leaving the tripod foot on the lens, and using it as a handle to carry the camera/lens combo. 

What ebiggs said about matching up the quality of camera bodies and lenses is true.  With a high performance camera body, you want to use high performance lenses.  But, you're looking to use a high performance lens on a budget priced camera body, which is a camera body that has not been expressly designed for the heavier lenses.

The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is a really fantastic lens, though.  It would be a lifetime investment, that you could easily use on any upgrade with a Canon EOS camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks for the advice

This is one of the main reasons to try and keep your gear essentially equal.

"... be aware that it is a fairly (very) heavy lens compared to the standard kit lenses that come with a 1300D."

The beauty of a DSLR is it can have several lenses.  You need to consider ones that are more in line with your T6.  What you want will be done better with two or more lenses than with one all purpose lens.

EB

thank you for your recommendation
Announcements