cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-18 or 18-55?

ravenina
Apprentice

Looking for opinions about which lens to get. I have a 60D and just sold the kit lens that came with it, I currently have the 75-300, which I am also selling, and the 50mm f/1.8 prime (which I will be keeping forever). I am trying to decide between the 10-18mm f/4-5.6 STM and the new 18-55mm f/4-5.6 (which kind of seems like it would be a step backward, as I had the older version of this lens back when I had a T2i years and years ago). Looked at Ken Rockwell's reviews and I can't decide which would be more beneficial and useful. Most of my photography is travel photography, so I do a lot of landscapes, architecture, and street photos. Because I travel frequently, I am looking for something light and versatile, as I usually only travel with one lens. 

Thanks, all opinions and suggestions welcome! 

Regina 

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority

The 10-18 lens only gives the full-frame equivalent field of view of 29mm.  That is really quite wide to be your longest option in your walk around lens.  The 10-22 gives the equivalent of 35mm which is more do-able, but it costs twice as much and by reviews it isn't any better with image quality.  It could be you can make the 10-18 work.  If not, you can always buy another lens later.

I don't know your budgeting priority for camera gear, but if you don't want to just buy the kit 18-55 lens, if I were you I'd consider getting a 17-55 f/2.8.  The lens is really sharp and the constant f/2.8 aperture is fantastic for low light, shallow DOF and bokeh, and the focal range is really useful.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks, ScottyP! 

Unfortunately the 17-55 sounds ideal but is way out of my price range. 

It also looks to be fairly heavy and as a budget traveler I'd need something lighter - my 18-135 was really heavy, considering. 

Thanks for your input!

Regina

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ravenina wrote:

Looking for opinions about which lens to get. I have a 60D and just sold the kit lens that came with it, I currently have the 75-300, which I am also selling, and the 50mm f/1.8 prime (which I will be keeping forever). I am trying to decide between the 10-18mm f/4-5.6 STM and the new 18-55mm f/4-5.6 (which kind of seems like it would be a step backward, as I had the older version of this lens back when I had a T2i years and years ago). Looked at Ken Rockwell's reviews and I can't decide which would be more beneficial and useful. Most of my photography is travel photography, so I do a lot of landscapes, architecture, and street photos. Because I travel frequently, I am looking for something light and versatile, as I usually only travel with one lens. 

Thanks, all opinions and suggestions welcome! 

Regina 

The EF-S 18-135 IS STM lens would be my choice.

The biggest thing to look for is that the lens is either STM or nano-USM. While those designations are only indications of the two latest types AF drive motor, when Canon updated the lenses with the new focus motors, the also updated the optics. So those newer lenses have substantially better image quality than their older counterparts. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are interested in landscapes, then I would recommend the super wide angle 10-18mm, or the 10-22mm.  The latter lens offered a 35mm equivalent range of roughly 16-35mm.  

While the image quality is claimed to be equal between the tow lenses, the build quality is an entirely different world.  Unlike the EF-S 10-18mm, the EF-S 10-22mm has internal zooming and focusing, as well as an all metal body.  It is at least as heavy as Canon's 18-135mm lenses, and larger, too.  If build quality makes a difference to you, then go with the 10-22.  I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with it..

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-10-22mm-f-35-45-usm-refurbished

It is a quality lens, with a robust build.  True, the refurbished store sells it for nearly double the price of the 10-18mm, but it is a quality lens, much better than the 10-18mm.  This lens is built to last.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Regina,

I am reading this and re-reading it and I think another solution just might be best and work well for you. Have you considered any prime lenses?  I am normally a zoom lens guy but in this case a prime just might fill the bill.  Which one? The excellent and super sharp Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens.

"Most of my photography is travel photography, so I do a lot of landscapes, architecture, and street photos. Because I travel frequently, I am looking for something light and versatile, as I usually only travel with one lens."

But it is not a zoom, you say!  It is possible to zoom with your feet. Add to the fact this lens is very sharp so enlarged crops may just be as good as the zooms you are considering.

Also, thinking out of the box, perhaps it is not a lens you seek but a camera. You may get more benefits from a camera like the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Digital Camera. Or the excellent Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera.  These come with a typical 24mm to 100mm (approx) zoom lens. Lots of MP and large sensors.  They are light weight and small so as not to be noticed too much. You could sell your current gear to help defer cost.

Just some fodder to think about.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements