Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to Install LiDE 220 Software

I downloaded the LiDE 220 setup software directly from the Canon website [win-lide220-1_0-ucd.exe.] The software unpacks and then stops with this message: "Failed to acquire information on the driver and software. Check the network connection and try again."

Looks like my network connection is okay since I'm using it to submit this post.

How can I install the software?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

SOLVED: Unable to Install LiDE 220 Software

[ Edited ]

I discovered the cause of my problem and, eventually, the solution.

Here is the cause:

I unpacked the installer from Canon's website and read the msetup4.ini file. The URL that Setup is trying to reach, viz.,

URL=http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/rmds/ij/ijs/cd/%DEVICEID%/%CDTYPE_FORXMLURL%/win/0/cd_comp.xml

references an XML file that doesn't exist (or no longer exists.)

Here is the solution:

I used the disc that came with the LiDE 220 to setup the scanner, which installed the original v1.0 driver. (I've got a USB-attached optical drive.)

Next, I downloaded and installed the v1.02 driver [sc68-win-lide220-1_02-ea33_3] from Canon's website. I made sure that this was, in fact, the v1.02 driver by opening the installer's README folder and in turn opening the Version.txt file, which confirmed that the driver was MPDRIVER_VER=1.02.

I'm handy with a computer, but I wonder how much success the average computer user would have figuring this out. And if that user did not have an optical drive ... that would make it all the more frustrating.