cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG3100 printer/scanner. Cannot auto scan using the Canon Solution Menu Ex

NROY
Apprentice

I have been using a canon MG3100 printer/scanner for a while now. However, I cannot scan using the Solution Menu Ex software. An error message reads : Cannot scan for these reasons; Scanner is turned off-USB is disconnected, with an error code 5,156,61.

I can print using wi-fi and I can scan by going to Menu>Devices and Printers and right clicking on the printer icon.

I have noticed in preferences, in the Canon solution menu, it shows printer: MG3100 series printer WS.    Scanner: MG3100 series (no WS).

How can I get the scanner on line to read MG3100 WS ???

Thanks for any help.

19 REPLIES 19

Not the same printer but the same problem.  My Canon 8200 scanner would not work from the solution menu Ex but printed wireless with no problem.  About a month ago I had inadvertantly chose 8200 MS for the default printer.  This move solved a problem with the printer not waking up everytime the system went to sleep, but created he problem producing this error code.  WS is a Microsoft printer driver that somehow kills the Canon scanner operation from the solution menu.    I had deleted all the printer icons except  except for Canon MG8200 WS.  To get the proper printer icon back I simply loaded the entire 8200 software from the original disc. 

Problem solved and Canon 8MG 8200 WS gone.  Hopefully the "sleep" problem will not return.

can not start mp navigator. I have tried on 2 different windows 7 computers with wifi to the printer and it refuses to work.

Hi drgoldman,

Please try scanning using the Microsoft Paint program by following the steps below:

1.  Go to your START Menu, select ALL PROGRAMS, then ACCESSORIES, then MICROSOFT PAINT.

2.  Once inside of Paint, in the upper left corner you will see a blue square; please click on that and select FROM SCANNER OR CAMERA.  A window will appear asking you what device you want to use.  Please select the PIXMA MG3100 series printer, then press the OK button.

3.  In the next window, you should have the option of selecting a document type; please select one, then press the SCAN button in the window.

Are you able to scan successfully using Microsoft Paint?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I was able to scan from Paint but not from MP Navigator.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10.  

Dear @Ramona and/or colleagues,

I have a MG 3170 and was also in the situation where I could not scan either from the machine itself or by using any of the Canon utilities - I tried to troubleshoot by seeing if I can scan through MS Paint as described in your post Ramona dated 03-16-2014, however in my version of Paint (1607) I cannot see any blue square icon.

In desperation I tried going back to basics - I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from this address: http://drivercanon.net/canon-mg3100-series-driver-download/ - I just selected the most appropriate sounding file to me (the 3rd one down as I'm running Windows 10).

Once all set up this cured the problem - All was well when I scanned two documents using MP Navigator was open- No idea why it didn't work before / what reinstalling the driver did to correct it - However just as mysteriously, as soon as I closed MP Navigator and then opened it again later to scan something else, I experienced exactly the same problem / symptoms as previously!!

Can I have some pointers on what to trouble-shoot next?

Thanks.

48 hours and no response?!

Hi dj_efk,

Thank you for reaching out to Canon USA.

The PIXMA MG3170 is not a model that's supported by Canon USA, however you'll want to ensure you're using the drivers specifically from Canon in your country. Canon cannot verify drivers from any other site. 

To get support and drivers for your printer, please visit the Canon site for your country by clicking HERE. Once you're there, please select your region, then select your country. You'll be able to find support options from there. 

We hope this helps point you in the right direction! 

im2hard2resist
Apprentice

I had the same problem last night and spent a good 3 hours trying to figure out this issue.

Apparently it happens because your printer is on Wifi and gets a new dynamic IP everytime your router reboots. However the printer settings that are saved on all the computers and other devices (Ipad, phones etc) are based on the original IP that the printer was assigned the first time.

So to fix ths, login to your wifi router admin page from - 198.168.0.1 (usually), and then assign a 'static address' or reserve an IP for your printer. In order to reserve you need to specify the MAC address of the printer and set this to a static address of say - 198.168.0.105. This way your printer/scanner shall always get the same IP evertime your router reboots and all devices should be able to connect to it.  If you have an android device(like a phone), try installing Canon EPP app, which shows the printer name, IP address and MAC adress and also the status - online/offline. I found this especially useful in troubleshooting the issue compared ot windows/IPAD based tools as they hide these details.

Hope this helps!

Claire2112
Apprentice

Hi,

I hope you've been able to scan by now but just in case you haven't...

>Open the Canon Solution Menu Ex

>Click on 'Manual & Settings' from the main menu screen

>Click on 'Network Settings' (this starts an autonatic search for any printer connected by wifi)

>Once your printer has been found, select it in the list then click on 'Configuration' and 'OK'

This will update the connection via wifi and you'll now be able to scan from the main menu 'Auto Scan' functions

It happens to me every time my toddler switches off my wifi box!

c x

1Chip
Apprentice

Hi, i use my MG3100 on usb cable and when i try to sca it gives me this message: "Printer is in use or an error has occurred. Check status. Scaner driver will be closed. code:2,140,21", please help, thanks.

Announcements