cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can no longer print to my MX870 from my desktop. The MX870 is on my network, not connected direct

Jselander
Apprentice

I can still print from my laptop and my wife's computer.

The MX870 is not showing as a printer on my desktop, and when I try to add it, it doesn't show.   Even though it shows as a scanner and fax.   It works as a scanner, but not as a printer.

I tried reinstalling the software with no luck.

2 REPLIES 2

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Jselander.

Please tell us what version of Windows or Mac OSX is installed on the computer so we can try to assist you with this issue.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

williamjacobs
Apprentice

Anyone trying to connect to a Pixma MX### over a network has my sympathy.

This was a toughie.

The Pixma worked fine for Mac and over USB, but threw the error: "Printer Canon Pixma MX882 cannot be contacted over the network." when trying to print over the cabled network.

I got this Pixma MX880 series (MX882 specifically) to connect to Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit PC's using this method:

1)  Install Apple's Bonjour networking protocol which is recognized by many printers including the Pixma. (you may need to install the Pixma driver if you haven't already. You can download it from Canon's drivers pages.)

2)  Once installed, launch the Bonjour printer wizard to add the Pixma.

3)  In the printer list, right click teh Pixma and open "Printer Properties"

4)  In the "Advanced" tab, switch the printer driver to "Pixma MX880 fax printer" drver and click the "Apply" button.

(The fax driver should load)

5)  Switch BACK to the "Pixma 880 Printer" driver and click the "Apply" button. Then click "OK"

Try your print job again.

This got the Pixma MX882 working on 5 different Windows boxes in no time by using the special Bonjour port created by the Bonjour Printer wizard (you can ee it in Printer Properties, "Ports" tab), but without the fax driver portion installed, it would not work. Both parts are needed and the driver installer does not appear to add the fax capabilities by default in all circumstances.

This solution may also work for numerous 2nd tier printer brands: Brother, Epson, Kodak that Win 7 struggles to connect to over a network.

Announcements