Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

[ Edited ]

So with what OS doesn't work? What type of computer? 

Have you really downloaded latest software and drivers from Canon Support site? 

Install first the latest software (of  autumn 2015) and then last the just released new scanner driver of 13 April 2016. 

(before installingn scanner driver un-connect scanner usb-cable, then start scanner driver installation and when it asks to connect scanner, connect it with usb-cable, so that computer with new scanner driver recognizes scanner right). 

New Contributor

Re: Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

Tryed the new scanner driver and still no luck :-(

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/scanners/photo-scanner/canoscan-li...

CanoScan LiDE 120 Scanner Driver Ver.1.02 (Windows) 04/13/16

Driver Working :-)

New Contributor

After updating OS X to El Capitan my problems started... Man Sad

Only way to get scanner working is:

1. Start Canon IJ Scan Utility

2. Connect scanners USB, so system loads driver

After "sleep" I need (again) disconnect - reconnect scanner USB to get it work!!!

If Scan Utility is not running already and I press button on scanner, Utility starts, but not scan..  Then I kill Utility and start it by hand and... Scanner start scanning even I don't press button.. It remembers that last press.

New Contributor

I contacted support, telling them that I had tried unpluggin, repluggin, restarting, etc. They sent me here: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART140120&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...

...so, basically, they just told me to unplug it and replug it. Not helpful at all. I'm stuck. I have no idea how to fix this. Obviously there's some communication from the scanner to the computer, since it automatically boots the scan utility. But I just get the error message

"

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
- Scanner is turned off.
- USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

Code:15,156,0"

Very disappointed. There's nothing wrong with the machine, as I can actually get it to work on my husband's Dell. Is it possible there's a software problem with getting it to work on Mac , running El Capitan?

New Contributor

This doesn't solve my problem, as I get the same errors on a mac. If anyone has any other ideas, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to have to return this scanner that I just bought.
New Contributor

Hey guys,

I got a brand new PC, and was having the same 'Code 2' error as everyone else here. According to earlier posts in this thread, my setup was the trifecta of doom - Windows 10 64-bit, Asus motherboard (Z170-A), and ASMedia USB controller.

Fortunately for me, I downloaded the drivers linked to in message 63 above, uninstalled the old drivers, and installed the new. I have scanned several documents so far and everything is working perfectly. Seems faster than it used to be on my old machine as well.

Hope this helps somebody out there, as I signed up just to post this message Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I have a MacPro Notebook (bought a year ago) and it has the SAME **bleep** problem.  Canon can care less about this issue and guess what?  It's on its way back and Canon has officially lost a client.

New Contributor

I have a MacPro Notebook (bought a year ago) and it has the SAME **bleep** problem.  Canon can care less about this issue and guess what?  It's on its way back and Canon has officially lost a client.

New Contributor

I tried to fix this problem with a technician walking me through on the phone and still nothing happened. The scanner is going back to you and someone else is getting my business.  It seems like you do not care about fixing a problem that OBVIOUSLY some people are having.