cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LIDE 210 Scanner Hangs

Pauleduc
Apprentice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. can't find a scanner specific forum

I have been using my LiDE 210 scanner to scan some photos.. and every once and a while, the scanner just hangs in the middle of a scan.  Totally locked up.  I have to use the Windows task manager to force it to quit.  After quitting the application (Canon MP Navigator EX)  and restarting it, it again freezes with a 'scanner warming up' message.  Even unplugging the scanner USB cable and replugging it does not fix the problem.  The only way seems to be to shut down my Windows 8.1 system and restart it. 

Any idea what may be causing this hang, and how to fix it?

67 REPLIES 67

I'm afraid that your reply suggests that you're hoping that the forum will by magic come up with some cobbled together solution (like running laptops solely on battery). Are there any of the suggestions that you would endorse? If so, please tell us as I'm dying to hear it.

What your reply also suggests is that you haven't done a thing about investigating the problem.

hi michael, no this answer does not help at all.  Ofcourse we tried everything from different ports, different cables, start windows in safe mode, update the software etc, this is the things you will try first hand to see if you can solve the problem.  I dont think people are turning to forums like this without any reason. You just need to get some work done and you cant. The problem is NOT USER FIXABLE BY CHANGING A CABLE.

i have 2 of this exact same scanners and 1 of them work normal. one PC is freezing with it.

Canon,

I can't believe there is no action on your company's part to address this issue?! There seems to be more than enough customers with MULTIPLE Canon products who are experiencing compatibility issues with Windows 10.

If you're going to create drivers for these products to work with Windows 10, you should support them! I have a Surface Pro 3 and have tried all the typical steps (Reinstalling drivers, software, reboots, OS refreshes, Windows Update, Run as Administrator, Compatibility Mode, different USB ports, different USB cables, etc.).

I would like to keep using my scanner with my new Windows 10 device, but this is getting ridiculous. It can take me up to half an hour to scan ONE PAGE! I need a scanner for my business and do not want to buy another one, given the negative feedback online.

I have used Lide scanners for many years now and recently replaced my last one with the 210. My PCs have all been Macs going back to several Mac Minis and now I'm using a MacBook Pro. I'm using and have always used IrfanView running on Windows under Parallels to do my scanning.

It is only since updating to the Lide 210 that I'm facing any problems. 

Your message below has been posted before but it seems to me that you are not really addressing the problem. I don't think that there are so many people who are suddenly having USB problems or people who have suddenly thought it might be fun to use a 30 foot lead. If one or two people were having this problem there might be something wrong with one or two leads but not so many of us.

Please don't ask people to use the Contact Us link as most of us know that we're very unlikely to get a reply. You set up this forum so please use it to interact with your customers and attempt to sort out their problems. By using the forum we can all benefit from your advice.

The problem is that if you don't take this issue seriously you might find that many of us will switch to another manufacturer despite many years of loyally using your products.

"The communication errors that have been desscribed can be related to USB issues with the system.  First, make sure that the scanner is connected directly to your computer rather than through any USB hubs or extension devices.  

Make sure that the cable that was included with the scanner is being used.  However, if the error persists, try using a different cable to narrow down the cause of the error.  

Next, check to make sure that the USB drivers for your system are up to date.  

If the issue persists, check to see if  the scanner will operate consistently on a different computer in order to narrow down the cause of the issue.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us."

KKendall35
Apprentice

I have a brand new LIDE 220 and it is doing the same thing. I can get maybe 1 or 2 scans done and then it hangs in the middle of a scan. After about 5 minutes says the scanner isn't connected. When I try scanning again it hangs witn the "Scanner warming up" message.

I am also using Windows 8.1 x64.

If the problem was with an anti-virus program then it shouldn't even scan the first time.

This is getting really frustrating: I bought this scanner to do a job and now I am considering returning it.

Just a note: The ONLY(temporary) resolution to this I have found is to reboot the PC.

Me too I have the menace. LiDE210 used to perform, but a week ago stopped to scan. I had Win 8 first and 8.1 thereafter, but the OS change did not make any change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the original software Navigator 4.0, tried 4.1 and 5.1 plus a new driver without success. MS OS claims the scanner works properly, but stays on warming up mode. USB ports have been refreshed to indentify hardware changes, but the cursed scanner does not work and it is just one year young.

How long is the USB cable? Is it plugged directly into a USB port (not a USB hub), preferably on the back of the tower? If it's a laptop, is it running on battery or plugged in?

The USB cable is 1.5m and plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on a desktop computer tower(back).

KKendall35
Apprentice

One thing I have discovered is that I can't be doing ANYTHING else like downloading a file while using the scanner or it locks up so tight I have to reboot to get it started again. 

Announcements