cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A driver supporting solution menu ex is not installed

bobarola
Apprentice

I have a CanoScan LiDE 210 that I've been using for the last two years at least.  I recently used it about a week ago and had no issues with it.  For some reason when I tried using it today through MP Navigator and Solution Menu it doesn't work.  I get an error from Solution Menu where only the help features are available to be clicked and from MP Navigator it tells me that it cannot start.

I have tried reinstallation and even the driver update available from your site.  I'm not sure what the issue coudl be anymore.  I know it can start and the bulb works fine because when I plut the usb in my computer recognizes it and for a short while the scanner will light up, but that is all.  

I'd appreciate any and all help.

30 REPLIES 30

I went into the registry and deleted traces of CanonSolutionMenuEx and subsequently reinstalled with the CD that comes with the scanner - still same result.   Any help in getting the scanner to work appreciated.  Thanks.

flame
Apprentice

I have encoumtered exactly teh same problem, but only after downloading Windows 8.1 after I had been using Windows 8 with no issues relating to my Canon Printer

I am perpelexed that Canon has not relied officially to this issue and told customers that it is or is not a Canon issue. 

Canon need to say EXACTLY what the fix is and precisely how to do it.  Not everyone on here is fully computer literate

I note a few have suggested using a "cleaner", yet no one has posted exactly which cleaner to us

Looking for help ASAP

Thanks

cara460
Contributor

If you cannot find proper driver from Canon website, you can use your device manager to install driver for your device.

Step 1. Click Start, then right-click "My Computer" (or "Computer") and click "Manage".

Step 2. In the Computer Management window, on the left, click "Device Manager".

Step 3. Click the "+" sign in front of Mouse and other pointing devices.

Step 4. Right-click the device listed below Mouse and other pointing devices and select Uninstall.

Step 5. Click OK to confirm removal of the device.

Step 6. Restart the system. Windows will detect and automatically install the driver.

If it still does not help, I'd like to recommend you the download utility I am using to you. It is called DriverTuner. If you want to get more help of Canon driver, you can read this article, http://www.official-drivers.com/articles/Free-Download-Canon-Imageclass-MF4350d-Driver.

saad_murtaza
Apprentice

issue Solved.

Steps to resolve problem: 

1) un install the old setup.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Run the MSETUP4.exe

4) Now Ist unplug and then re-plug your scaner with PC.

5) All the Drivers will atomatically be Installe.

Smiley Very Happy 

Spoiler

ecbritz
Contributor

I got the same message after installing  the driver of my Canon printer on a computer running Windows 10 ("A driver supporting solution menu X not installed").

I then discovered that the initially downloaded driver (an .exe file) did not really add my Canon printer to "Drivers and Printers" -- or did not connect the printer to the computer -- as I had thought.

If your initially downloaded driver (the .exe file) was stored in your Downloads folder, you will notice that a subfolder carrying the name of this downloaded driver (the .exe file) was automatically created inside the Downloads folder. Inside this subfolder you will find a Setup.exe file. You have to run this Setup.exe file (not the initially downloaded .exe driver file) to install the printer driver properly and to avoid the error message "A driver supporting solution menu X not installed".

It is also important to have your printer switched on and to have its wire connected to a USB port on your computer while running Setup.exe.  (That is if the printer is connected by USB wire.) 

ecbritz
Contributor

I installed Windows 10 on all my PC's running Win 7 and Win 8.1 . In every case, I encountered problems with running my Canon printers and scanners from the newly installed Win 10. An error message about Canon's Solution Menu EX program popped up on system startup. And neither the printers nor the scanners would work. 

The only way I could fix this, was by uninstalling all Canon printer / scanner software on my PC's COMPLETELY, followed by downloading and re-installing the latest relevant Canon printer and scanner drivers.

The trick is to get rid of the Solution Menu EX elements. They do not seem to be removed by a standard Windows uninstallation of the Canon drivers and programs. And they seem to consist of hidden files.

One could use any method to remove hidden program files or remnants of uninstalled programs you have at your disposal. I used Revo Uninstaller Pro, in the following way.  

I went to the seemingly empty Canon subfolder that remained in the Program Files (x86) folder after the standard uninstallation of the Canon drivers and software. I right-clicked on this seemingly empty Canon subfolder. Then I clicked on "Uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro". To my pleasant surprize, the Solution Menu EX program files were revealed and could be deleted with Revo.

After that, I installed the latest drivers for my Canon printers and scanners and all was well again. I could now print and scan from Windows 10. Please note: I am not advertising Revo.  It is simply a fact that this tool helped me to overcome my biggest problem after installing Win 10.

joe1simon
Apprentice
A driver supporting solution menu ex is not installed.
How can this be resolved.
Just started getting this after installing windows 10

I gave a solution in my previous posting. The trick, in my case, was to "Uninstall with RevoUninstallerPro" after a right click on the Canon folder in my Program Files section. Revo removed the Solution Menu X items remaining behind after my normal Control Panel uninstallation of Canon drivers. Once you have cleaned out the Soluton Menu X items, you have to re-install the necessary Canon drivers. You can search for them on the Canon website.

If you don't use RevoUninstallerPro (there is a 30 days free trial version you can download) you could use the Regedit program in Windows to edit your register, removing all Canon (or Solution Menu X) entries. This is very risky and fatal to your whole system if you don't know exactly what you are doing and remove an entry not supposed to be removed.

Canon should provide a tool enabling users to overcome the Solution Menu X problem encountered on installing Windows 10.

Can't somebody ask Canon to provide such a tool? I have no idea how to do that.

PS. You could also try the advice given in the post preceding my own post. 

cnchat
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma BJ4900. I wish to prine on printable CDs and DVDs. I have downloaded and installed Solution Menu Ex. The program appears to open but with the note to say the supporting driver is missing. Where do I obtain this driver?.

lmd-1250
Apprentice

I have a Canon PIXMA MP250 that I use for a long time with system 7.
Recently I use another computer under system 10. For a reason that seems impossible to solve the Canon Menu Solution,
does not work. To print it's OK but to scan (impossible). I receive an error from Menu Solution
(No driver that supports Solution Menu Ex is installed)

I downloaded and installed these files and restarted the computer and the printer
-mp68-win-mp250-1_05-ea24 (1) .exe
-slmx-win-1_4_1-ea23_2 (1) .exe

Nothing works I tried reinstalling and even updating the driver available on your site.
I am discouraged the problem could be more.

I would appreciate your help.erreur-pilote-canon.jpg

Announcements