cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will canon still repair my 17-55mm 2.8?

Sunnybag745
Contributor
So I bought my 17-55mm f.2.8 a while back probably around 2010. And just recently the zoom ring is stuck,(well kind of). Well the ring moves as it should from 17mm up to around 37mm but at 37mm it doesn’t go passed that and gets “stuck”. Everything within that 17-~37 ish range works as it should. Yes I am concerned with that, but I’m also concerned with if I will still be able to take the lens into the canon repair shop (there is a canon repair shop nearby). I am not too worried about cost as long as it does not exceed the price of a new lens. So is this a mild problem that shouldn’t be to hard/costly to fix and will I still be able to take it to get repaired since I bought it at around 2010
7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hi Sunnybag745!

We haven't been notified by our engineers (as of the writing of this post) that this lens is out of service life. That means that here in the USA, we're still repairing the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. You'll want to take it to your nearest Canon Factory Service Center for an estimate.

Stephen wrote:

Hi Sunnybag745!

We haven't been notified by our engineers (as of the writing of this post) that this lens is out of service life. That means that here in the USA, we're still repairing the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. You'll want to take it to your nearest Canon Factory Service Center for an estimate.

It's still being sold new!! And several of us keep recommending it in this forum! Stephen, how can you possibly give such a tepid response? Is it even conceivable that Canon could be considering ending its "service life"?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not a problem they will fix it.  The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is one of the "greats". If you have a cropper this is a must have lens.

There is a short list of very special lenses.  I consider most of them "must haves" and this one tops the cropper list by far.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sunnybag745
Contributor
Is there any other must haves that you really recommend for me because I’m looking to buy another for my cropper. Thanks!

@Sunnybag745 wrote:
Is there any other must haves that you really recommend for me because I’m looking to buy another for my cropper. Thanks!

What would be the purpose of that additional lens? For us to make a sensible recommendation, we need to understand what you expect to use it for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Is there any other must haves that you really recommend for me because I’m looking to buy another for my cropper."

The must have list I have needs to have a direction.  Some of the lenses on my must have list are not solely intended for use on a cropper.  But they can be, don't get me wrong.  Some of the lenses on my must have list are unique.  Nobody else makes it.

For instance if you want to shoot wildlife the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens is a must have.  It is unique as nobody makes one besides Canon.  It is sharp.  It is light for hand holding and it is reasonably fast for a super tele.  It is a great lens.

Super tele not your bag?  The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens is on the opposite end. It is unique as nobody makes one besides Canon.  It is sharp. It is one fun lens to play with.  It has extreme capabilities.  If you need its ability.  It is a great lens, too.

You asked about a 50mil.  The one I have is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens.  Again a unique lens.  Only Canon makes it.  There is no 50mil like it.  It is big.  It is heavy. It is slow to AF.  It is a great lens!

But, Kido, I need to have you give me a direction to suggest a "must have" lens for you.

EB

"Is there any other must haves ..."

You already have one of the must haves, the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

EB
Announcements