cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on combatting spammers?

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

There's a decent amount of spam now such that a brand new poster creates a thread with a perfectly good-looking topic/question.   Then later, they will edit that post to include suspicious links.

I don't know if it would cause more trouble for users, but perhaps a brand new poster shouldn't be allowed to edit their posts with a certain window of time?   Maybe until they can prove they can be trusted?

Just trying to think of ways to combat spam.

Although, forum members are ultimately wasting their own time even answering these threads.  So perhaps it's a good thing that the links then show up as members can then report it.  If editing is blocked, nobody will know it's ultimately a spammer.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Ricky,

I've been giving more thought to this as well.  I visited the khoros home page to see if they had any information about their forum products.  

The majority of the spam links are added in the user's signature after the fact.  It's a pain for sure and does waste a person's time when all they're trying to do is help.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hard to deal with them. I get emails where I have won a diversity of items. The address ends with dot uk. If I don't know anything about the email, I block it which is useless.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements