Canon Community Canon Community

Community Manager

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thank you all for your great feedback!  We have now opened the avatars so you are able to upload your own. Click on the 'My Settings' link on the top of the page, and you'll notice an 'Avatars' tab.  There is now an option to 'Upload on Avatar.'

Community Manager

Hi Ari,

You are correct. This is a public forum where people can discuss photography, equipment, printing, tips and tricks, and anything else regarding imaging!

Topics: 1
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 3

Monica wrote:

Thank you all for your great feedback!  We have now opened the avatars so you are able to upload your own. Click on the 'My Settings' link on the top of the page, and you'll notice an 'Avatars' tab.  There is now an option to 'Upload on Avatar.'

And it works well. Thanks Monica.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/
Topics: 1
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1

I think it's only a matter of time until the first posts about things like upcoming cameras/lenses, etc... are asked by some.  Also posts about negative issues such as sensor technologies, etc...

How are these going to be handled? I mean, this is a corporate forum, not a 3rd party site. People are going to have expectations that are different from other forums, simply because this one is owned by Canon.  They are going to expect that Canon will be monitoring this site and many will (wrongfully) expect that if an issue gets raised here, that it is the equivalent of Canon being made aware of it.

Just some things to think about, before you open the gates. I would expect to see lots of negative posts about some things, and I am curious how those are planning on being handled.

Unique Night Time Photography | Twilightscapes.com
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, Twilightscapes!  We agree that our users may post some of the topics you listed.  Part of our preparations to launch to launch these forums has been to develop clear guidelines for our moderation team to use in responding appropriately.  Thanks for helping us make sure all the bases are covered!

Twilightscapes wrote:

I think it's only a matter of time until the first posts about things like upcoming cameras/lenses, etc... are asked by some.  Also posts about negative issues such as sensor technologies, etc...

How are these going to be handled? I mean, this is a corporate forum, not a 3rd party site. People are going to have expectations that are different from other forums, simply because this one is owned by Canon.  They are going to expect that Canon will be monitoring this site and many will (wrongfully) expect that if an issue gets raised here, that it is the equivalent of Canon being made aware of it.

Just some things to think about, before you open the gates. I would expect to see lots of negative posts about some things, and I am curious how those are planning on being handled.

New Contributor

Greetings everyone,

My name is Tim Reilly and I am not a professional photographer. Actually...I am a pretty simple guy who LOVES to take pictures. I am a guy who had a desire to take good photos of my kids while they were growing up. I simply showed up to their school plays, games,field trips, etc with my camera.  I started 10 years ago with my oldest daughter and am still going strong with my youngest son...now a junior in high school. I started this little hobby as a personal need to get some good shots of my kids and it has evolved into me being the  "official/unofficial" school photographer. I started shooting with the Sony f828. I was able to get adequate shots but something was missing. When I took the plunge and got serious about quality I upgraded to Canon. Previously  I have shot with the 30D then the 50D and I have settled into the 1D mark IV. I shoot primarily with the 70-200mm L series and the 16-35mm wide angle zoom lens..L series as well. I recently purchased the 40mm pancake lens and have been happy with the performance so far. If there is 1 thing I can add to this forum it is to say that there is an unlimited source of events to photograph right under your nose...that would be at your local high schools. I have been most fortunate in my little corner of the world. I have photographed 2 state football championships as well as many state championship runs that fell short. I have had opportunities to shoot everything from weddings...not a big fan...to funerals...also not a big fan. State championships to school plays, dances,assemblys and everything inbetween. I edit 99% with Adobe lightroom4. I am a guy who loves to take pictures and I am getting better every day. I am excited to be a part of this forum with hopes of learning something from you and hopes that I may have something you can use.

New Contributor

Hello everyone! 

My name is Kim, and I'm a high school student. I became fascinated with photography at a young age, because my siblings took photography courses and shared their knowledge with me. I plan to study film and photography once I get to college, and hopefully start a career in the field! 

I love Canon products. I started with a giant old Canon clunker (I don't remember the model, but it was before SD cards were used!) and was so happy to upgrade to my Canon SD400! Years went by, and I finally got my beloved Rebel T3i last year. We have become inseperable since! 

I'm an amateur photographer. The most training I have gotten is from taking art history and photography in school. I am defintely excited to be part of this community and learn from the pros!  

Kim 

www.flickr.com/photos/kimbernguyen
www.youtube.com/kimmbeee
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

My wife an I run Mary Powell Photography - www.marypowellphotography.com - primarily shooting real estate.

We use a pair of 5D MKIIIs and 600EX-RTs with the new radio transmitter - which is fantastic.  Our primary lenses are the 17 and 24 TSE lenses - brilliant for architecture - we hate curvey lines and keystoned shots. :-)

We also do some portrait work using mostly the 70-200 / 2.8 IS II and 50/1.2.

We've been shooting for years - Leica and Canon mostly - moved up from Rebels and 5Ds to the current 5DIIIs - really great features for what we do.

Nice to be here - most times we manage to do pretty well reading the manuals and googling for tips, but having a Canon resource for help could be handy - I hope this is it - and I already have two questions I'll work on for posting later.

Steve
EOS 5D MKIII
Occasional Contributor

Greetings from Las Vegas.  I just heard about this forum from a fellow member of the P.O.T.N Canon forum ( http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ ) where I spend a lot of time.  Looking forward to participating in this one as well.

I enjoy shooting macro, but also landscapes, and family stuff.  I currently use a 40D, but am looking forward to trying a full frame soon, maybe a 5DIII.

Cheers

New Contributor

Hi all! I'm Tim, I've been shooting Canon since 1989 (EOS 650). I currently own three dSLR's: XTi, 50D and a 7D. My primary focus is high school sports but I shoot a little bit of everything. Looking forward to comparing notes with fellow shooters.