cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Canon have any EDU discounts?

Uneternal
Contributor

As a student, I always see offers from Sony. Like a brand new A7IV for just $2200, including a bag and spare battery.
Does Canon offer student discounts like that? I'm deliberating of changing the system, cause Canon prices are unbelievably uncompetitive lately compared to all other manufacturers (Sony, Nikon, Panasonic). The comparable R6 Mark II still sits at $2500 with its kinda outdated 24 megapixel resolution from 2012. Meanwhile my phone offers 50 MP (not the same quality, I know, but still). Plus the fact that other manufacturers support third party lenses.

Even the Nikon Z7II which came out later than the R5 is now just $2500, offering almost the same like an R5 for $1000 less. If somebody at Canon reads this: When do we get competitive prices? Are there EDU discounts? 

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Uneternal!  We recommend talking to our sales team so that they can hook you up with our best price on new and refurbished Canon gear.  You can reach them weekdays and Saturdays at 1-800-385-2155 or you can chat with them by going HERE and then hitting the red "CHAT" button at the lower right.

Hope this helps!

Well, I did that and the only reply I got was that there are no discounts ATM.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Uneternal,

I just sold my 6D2 to a former Sony owner who left Canon for the bigger, better deal.  After he switched, he said he always regretted trying Sony and was happy to come back to Canon.  I know former Nikon owners who have said the same.  The grass on the other side of the fence is not always greener.  😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"The grass on the other side of the fence is not always greener."

I know, but it's cheaper. My problem is I got an EOS R and Canon has a horrible color science on that one. I think they tried to emulate older Sony colors, so all skin tones have a slight green cast which is hard to get rid of. I also don't want to downgrade from 30MP to 24MP of the R6II, cause I got used to the cropping buffer 30MP gives you. So I got no option but the 4 year old R5 which still sits at over $3000, even refurbished, plus tax. Which is ridiculous given that a Nikon Z7II is $1000 less.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Uneternal,

Canon has frequent sales and promotions.  They also have bundled offers...  which have included batteries, bags, and other gear.  Canon has at least 20 body's on sale currently, plus sales on lenses, accessories and more.   

Camera Deals - Deals (canon.com)  

Canon has the best color science.  Its better than Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Panasonic.   I think you believe it to, or you wouldn't be here.  Photography is not an inexpensive hobby, but its way more fun that golf. 

shadowsports_0-1699798734315.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

1) As I said already: The deals are pretty uncompetitive. You write like a Canon represetative, so maybe you can spread the word. If your competition offers cameras with almost the same specs for $1000 less than your deal price, you gotta check your math again.

2) Canon has a good color science in most cameras, but they have a different color science almost every generation. And the EOS R is the odd duck that wears the crown of all color science changes. Compared to my old 6D and my R10, the colors are COMPLETELY different. You can also check out how different these outputs look on Dpreview's test scene, its not just a bad batch sensor. The skin colors that come out of an EOS R are almost worse than a Sony A7II.

3) Canon might be market leader overall, cause many people buy cheap cameras. However, they are not in mirrorless, certainly not in full frame mirrorless and they also don't make more revenue. So maybe Canon needs to think about if this could be due to exorbitant prices and their still closed mount.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/in-japan-sony-takes-no-1-from-canon-in-sales-of-mirrorless-cameras-i...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not going to try and convince you of anything.  Buy and use whatever you like and works for you.  I'll do the same.  In my 40+ yrs with the brand, Canon has delivered in performance and quality.  I have great memories and positive experiences.   I do wish I could do more with video and a zhiyun or dji stabilizer, but remain pleased with my current body's performance.  I plan to buy a second one next year for dedicated super zoom.  I have lots of Canon glass.  I've owned my share of Sigma gear too, still have some and others.  Most is sold now.  

Body's come and go.  Lenses are the real investment in photography.  I'd rather not have a cabinet for Canon, another for Sony and one Nikon.  I have one.  I know what I have works and fits everything I own, now and in the foreseeable future. I'm still working so don't have as much time as I'd like to dedicate to this hobby.  So as I mentioned, use whatever makes you happy.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hot Deal here:

shadowsports_0-1700771349343.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements